Reading time: 12 minutes
Article at a glance
- 1 What are the best exercises to get rid of cellulite?
- 2 Is losing fat the best way to get rid of cellulite?
- 3 Some of the best exercises to get rid of cellulite fast and naturally include
- 4 Butt Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite
- 5 Thighs Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite
- 6 Legs Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite
What are the best exercises to get rid of cellulite?
There are so many exercises to get rid of cellulite, and yet, around 80% of women above the age of 45 do not try out the most effective solution to this problem; strength train.
Strength training is a form of a physical training, which comprises the use of resistance to stimulate muscular contraction which further builds strength, anaerobic endurance and the size of skeletal muscles.
Is losing fat the best way to get rid of cellulite?
Cellulite as most of you know, occurs when fat cells poke through your connective tissue. Historically, many researchers and experts suggested that the best way to lose cellulite is to lose fat.
However, recent studies have shown that it is actually the muscle, that gives fat its shape, that is the major determinant to the appearance of cellulite.
With the weakening of this muscle layer, it becomes less firm, hence the fat layer above it loses a stable base to rest on. As a result, this fat spreads in all directions.
“Cellulite is a two-fold problem, so we need a two-fold solution,” Westcott says. “Strength train to get the muscles firm and strong, and a lower degree of excess body fat.”
Some of the best exercises to get rid of cellulite fast and naturally include
#1 Clockwork Lunge
- Stand with hands on your hips and feet hip-width apart.
- Take a big step forward with your right foot and lower down until your right leg is bent 90 degrees. Your left knee should be almost touching the floor. Now return to the starting position.
- Take a big step to the right with the right foot. Bend the right knee and keep the left leg straight. Now return to the starting position.
- Take a big step back with your left foot, Lower down until the left leg is bent 90 degrees and the right knee is almost touching the floor. Now return to the starting position.
- Repeat the same steps with the left foot, stepping to the front, then to the left side and then back.
- This is one set. Do 15 similar sets.
#2 Plié Squat With Alternating Heel Raise
- STAND with feet about 3 feet apart, toes pointed out.
- LOWER down until thighs are nearly parallel to the floor. Push yourself back up to standing. That’s one rep. Do 15 reps.
- REPEAT the same move, but raise the right heel as you lower down. Do 15 reps.
- REPEAT the same move, but raise your left heel as you lower your body down. Do 15 reps.
#3 Alternating Abduction Squats
- PLACE a weighted stability ball about one foot in front of you.
- RAISE your right leg and touch the top of the ball with your foot. Use your foot to swipe the ball to the right side, landing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- SQUAT: Bend at your knees and lower your body down until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Push yourself back to standing.
- REPEAT using left side
Note: In case you don’t have the ball, you can perform the same motion but without the ball. Raise your knee up to about hip-height, swipe your leg out to the side, and land with feet shoulder-width apart.
Butt Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite
#4 Hip-Lift Progression
- Lie on your back with your arms at your sides with your knees bent and your feet on the floor.
- Lift your hips toward the ceiling. Hold for 1 count, and then lower back down.
- Repeat the lifts for 60 seconds, squeezing your gluteus and hamstrings at the top of the range of motion. Be careful not to overarch your spine.
- To make this exercise more difficult, extend one leg at the top of the lift. Keep your thighs parallel and hold the lifted position for about 5 seconds.
- Keeping your hips up, place your foot back on the floor and then lower your hips.
- Repeat this exercise for 30 seconds; switch sides and do the move for another 30 seconds on the other leg.
#5 Toe Taps
- Lie on the floor with your arms on your sides.
- Lift your feet, bending both knees to 90 degrees so your thighs are perpendicular to the floor.
- Now slowly and quietly tap your left toes to the floor, then your right.
- Alternate tapping feet for one minute.
- If you feel any lower back pain, don’t bring your toes all the way down.
#6 Single-Leg Front Raises
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding a 5-pound dumbbell in each hand.
- Bend your right leg and raise it about 3 inches off the floor.
- Extend both arms in front of you at chest height and your palms facing down.
- Keeping your arms straight, raise your left arm above your head and hold for 3 counts, then return to chest height.
- Continue alternating arm raises until you’ve done 8 total, 4 reps on each arm.
- Now switch legs, doing 8 more reps standing on your right leg.
#7 Squat with Kick-Back
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Sit back to a squat, bringing your fists close to your chin.
- Then bring your left leg straight behind you while extending your arms forward.
- Return to the squat position, then repeat on the other side.
- Continue alternating sides for one minute.
- As you squat, remember to keep your weight back on your heels.
- When extending the leg behind you, keep your hips square — don’t twist them toward the side.
Thighs Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite
#8 Squat with ball
- Place an exercise ball between the wall and the curve of your lower back.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees and lower 5 to 10 inches, keeping your shoulders level and your hips square. Hold this position for 3 seconds and then stand back up.
- Start with 5 reps and work up to 12. Rest for 30 seconds and do another set.
#9 The Flamingo Balance
- Holding a dumbbell in your right hand, stand with your left hand on your hip.
- Lean forward slightly, lifting your left foot behind you to about hip height. At the same, bring your right arm forward.
- Turn your palm to face the ceiling and do a biceps curl.
- Touch your toes back down briefly, then repeat for 12 reps. Be sure to keep your left leg straight while bending your right knee.
- Switch sides: Stand with your left foot forward. Hold the dumbbell in your left hand, and hinge forward, raising your right leg up behind you to hip height.
- Simultaneously, raise your left arm forward, turn your palm to the ceiling, and do a biceps curl.
- Touch your toes back down briefly, and repeat for 12 reps.
#10 Plyometric Squat
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Squat down, bending your knees to 90 degrees.
- Now jump up and land softly again in the squat position. Use the strength in your legs and butt to jump up explosively.
- Remember to land as softly as you can with your knees bent; keep your weight back, over your heels.
- Do 3 sets of 8 reps
#11 The single-leg circle
- Lie back on the mat with your arms by your sides and your palms facing down.
- Begin by pointing with your left foot, as if reaching out with your toes toward the ceiling, and rotate your leg slightly outward.
- Inhale, and trace a circle on the ceiling with your left leg, moving your whole leg, but keeping your hips still. Don’t lift your left hip off the floor.
- Trace the circle on the ceiling 5 times in a clockwise direction. Repeat in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Switch legs and repeat 5 times
#12 Lunges with dumbbells
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding a 5- or 8-pound dumbbell in each hand.
- Lunge forward with your left leg, then straighten your leg. When you lunge, your right knee should come to about an inch above the ground without touching it.
- Keep your torso perpendicular to the floor, with your weight evenly distributed between your legs. Align your front knee over your front ankle, keeping the weight in your heels instead of on your toes.
- Continue these lunges for 30 seconds before switching sides and doing another 30 seconds on the other leg.
#13 Phase 2 of lunges with dumbbells
- Hold the dumbbells at shoulder height, palms facing front.
- Lunge forward with one leg, then bring your feet back together and lunge forward with the other leg. You should continue lunging on alternate legs for 60 seconds.
- Add a biceps curl in the final progression of this move: After each lunge forward, push through the heel of your forward foot while lifting your back knee in front of you to hip level.
- Do a biceps curl, then step back into a lunge. Repeat the lunge, plus curl, on one leg for 30 seconds, and then switch legs for another 30 seconds.
Legs Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite
#14 Dumbbell split jump
- Hold a pair of dumbbells at arm’s length, next to your sides with palms facing each other.
- Place your left foot in front of your right.
- From a standing position, lower your body into a split squat.
- Quickly switch directions and jump with enough force to propel both feet off the floor.
- Repeat, alternating back and forth with each repetition.
#15 Farmer’s walk on toes
- Grab a pair of heavy dumbbells and hold them at your sides at arm’s length.
- Raise your heels and walk forward for 60 seconds.
#16 Reverse dumbbell box lunge with forward reach
- Stand on a 6-inch box or step, holding a pair of dumbbells at your sides.
- Step backward into a lunge with your right leg as you lean forward at your hips and lean towards your feet.
- Reverse the movement to return to the starting position.
#17 Single-arm kettlebell swing
- Grab a kettlebell with an overhand grip and hold it in front of your waist at arm’s length
- Bend at your hips and knees and lower your torso until it forms a 45-degree angle to the floor.
- Swing the kettlebell between your legs.
- Keeping your arm straight, thrust your hips forward, straighten your knees, and swing the kettlebell up to chest level as you rise to standing position.
- Now squat back down as you swing the kettlebell between your legs again. Swing the weight back and forth forcefully.
#18 Marching hip raise with feet on a swiss ball
- Lie face up on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat on a Swiss Ball.
- Raise your hips so your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
- Lift one knee to your chest.
- Lower back to the start, and lift your other knee to your chest.
- Continue to alternate back and forth.
#19 Goblet squat
- Hold a dumbbell vertically next to your chest, with both hands cupping the dumbbell head.
- Brace your abs, and lower your body as far as you can by pushing your hips back and bending your knees.
- Pause, then push yourself back to the starting position.
#20 Dumbbell pushup row
- Place a pair of dumbbells about shoulder-width apart on the floor.
- Grab the handles and position yourself in a pushup position.
- Lower your body to the floor and then press back up.
- Once you’re back in the starting position, pull the dumbbell in your right hand up toward the side of your chest.
- Pause, then return the starting position and repeat with your left hand.
- That’s 1 rep. Try to prevent your torso from rotating each time you row the weight.
Now that you know what the best exercises to get rid of cellulite, then start practicing right now!