Reading time: 19 minutes
What Is A Handheld Massager?
A handheld massager is a device which can perform massage therapy, like that of a professional massage therapist, on virtually any part of the body.
With the proper attachments, a handheld massager can perform a scalp massage, facial, neck, and shoulder massage, upper and lower back massage, buttock massage, hip massage, legs massage, and foot massage.
Most handheld massagers have enough power and intensity to work knotted muscles and relieve tension, and conversely, can be adjusted to lower levels to provide a full relaxation massage.
Handheld massagers come in manual and electric models, with the electric models being corded, cordless, or both.
In addition, most include a heat element which can be used in conjunction with percussion action, which provides a deeper massage, vibration action which mimics a relaxation massage, or kneading action which imitates a Shiatsu massage.
Article at a glance
- 1 What Is A Handheld Massager?
- 1.1 What are the benefits of handheld massage therapy?
- 1.2 The PADO Pure-Wave CM7 handheld massager, is ideal for the entire body.
- 1.3 How to choose the right handheld massager
- 1.4 What Are You Using It For
- 1.5 Attachments
- 1.6 The 7 Best Handheld Massagers In 2018
- 1.6.1 #1 HoMedics HHP-350 Percussion Action Hand Held Massager
- 1.6.2 #2 Wahl 4196-1001 Heat Therapy Heated Handheld Therapeutic Massager
- 1.6.3 #3 ACEVIVI Cordless Percussion Deep Tissue Action Handheld Massager
- 1.6.4 #4 Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager MGPC-5000
- 1.6.5 #5 Panasonic EV2510K Easy Reach Rolling Massager
- 1.6.6 #6 TheraRub Massager Percussion Double Head Electric Massager
- 1.6.7 #7 Brookstone 672469 Sport Handheld Massager
What are the benefits of handheld massage therapy?
The overall benefits of massage therapy have now entered the main stream medical system and have for the most part become accepted as a means of assisting in both physical and mental health.
Some of the benefits include:
A handheld massager can be used on any part of the body, providing the relaxation of muscle groups from the top of the head to the toes.
This can have a positive effect not only on the physical aspects, but also the mental and psychological aspects.
Muscle Pain Alleviation
By increasing blood flow and circulation, a handheld massager can alleviate muscle pain and speed up the recovery process in the event of an injury.
As a direct result of the stress relief associated with massage therapy, many individuals report that they have much better sleeps, and in some cases have rid themselves of insomnia.
Better Looking Skin
Many, but not all handheld massagers have attachments which are specifically designed to be used on the face.
These generally provide a gentle massage which increases blood circulation the face, and in turn improve complexion.
Some handheld massager models recommend certain oils and creams to be used in conjunction with their devices.
It is such a great product that we felt it necessary to present it in a section by itself.
PADO Products, based out of Santa Clara, California, has been manufacturing leading edge massage products for a number of years.
Their culture is all about living well, and although they design massage product for the professional massage therapists and clinics, they have a goal of making those massage products available to everyone.
The PADO Pure-Wave CM7 handheld massager, is ideal for the entire body.
It is extremely powerful, however, it also has the ability of providing a softer, gentler massage for those areas of the body which may be a little more sensitive, such as the face and certain areas of the legs.
The Pure-Wave CM7 features both vibration and percussion action, allowing it to deliver both a Shiatsu massage, which simulates the use of fingers, thumbs, and palms to pinpoint deep muscle aches, pains, and knots; and a Swedish massage, a relaxation type therapy which simulates long gliding strokes generating blood flow to the tissues and organs of the body.
The Pure Wave Massager comes with 6 inter-changeable heads, each performing a different massage function, and a variable speed motor which allows you to easily change the intensity of the massage.
In addition, the vibration control can be adjusted to a lower level for use on delicate areas such as the scalp and face, or tougher areas such as the back and legs.
The curved, elongated handle makes it easy to reach area in the mid to lower back regions and weighing only 3.2 pounds makes it very transportable and easy to use.
Finally, the unit is cordless and comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery, making ideal to use anywhere.
The battery takes approximately 1 hour to charge and will hold its charge up to 3 hours.
How to choose the right handheld massager
Choosing a handheld massager is a very personal thing. In fact, over time, you will get to know your handheld massager like your best friend.
You will understand the preferable speed, heat, and vibration settings which work best for your body and specific ailments.
Therefore, it is important that you do your research and due diligence in choosing the right handheld massager for your unique needs.
The following information is meant to help you through that process:
What Are You Using It For
Not all handheld massagers are capable of effectively achieving result on all areas of the body.
Therefore, it is important to know what exactly your handheld massager is being used for.
If you have a particular problem area which will require continual massage, you must ensure that your choice can reach and penetrate that area and satisfactorily relieve the pain or tension.
On the other hand, if you are simply looking general relaxation massage there will be a device which will accommodate that.
Related to the above, you should closely scrutinize the attachments, if any, which are included with the massager.
Attachments, or heads which they are frequently called, each perform a specific function.
Some are meant to create a deep tissue Shiatsu style massage while others are meant to deliver a Swedish style relaxation massage.
Some are meant for the face and scalp, while others are designed for the back and legs.
Intensity refers to speed of the percussion action as well as rate of vibration.
Since even the largest muscle groups can feel beaten up after intense massage, it is essential that the chosen handheld massager has a variable speed and intensity control.
This allow you to ease off when the massage feels too aggressive.
Source of Power
Again, this a personal preference.
Handheld massagers come with and AC electrical cord, meaning you must be near an electrical outlet to operate the massager, a rechargeable battery, or both.
Based on where you intend to use the massager will determine which option is best for you.
Most electric handheld massagers include a heating option as the heat enhances the effectiveness of the massage by warming up the affected areas and making them more receptive to massage.
Infra-red heat versus standard heat, has the effect of penetrating much deeper and adds to the overall experience.
It is important to have a control which can increase or decrease the amount of heat being delivered to the affected area.
In addition, look for an automatic shut of in the event you fall asleep or inadvertently leave the device in the on position.
Some handheld massagers are just noisy. Although this cannot be controlled, it is something which is worth mentioning.
Overall Feel Of the Massager
If the massager is a chore to use, you just won’t use it.
Therefore, it is important that you find a unit which has a relatively light weight, has an ergonomically designed handled which can reach those hard to get places, and feels comfortable to hold.
The 7 Best Handheld Massagers In 2018
The HoMedics HHP-350 uses percussion action to relieve stress, tension, pain, and stiffness, soreness for the entire body.
The device is not meant for deep tissue massage, however, with its dual action heads, variable speeds, and heat function, provides a firm, yet gentle full body massage.
In addition, it includes three separate attachments, gentle, firm, and heat, which allows you to customize your massage.
Whether you need to relieve tension in the shoulders and neck after a hard day at work, or soothe tired and aching feet, the HoMedics HHP-350 Percussion Action Hand Held Massager will do the job.
Although it received a 4 Star rating on Amazon, based on 1,087 customer reviews, it is 5 Star in our books.
- Dual actions heads provide pulsing, percussion action which approaches 3,100 times per minute
- Variable control allows massage intensity to be increased or decreased
- Three inter-changeable attachments provide the ability to easily create a gentle, firm, or heated massage experience
- The ergonomically shaped handle makes it easy to reach areas on the lower back which are hard to get to
- A tremendous value for the price
- Not cordless meaning it must be used near an electrical outlet
- Is not adequate for a deep tissue massage
Price: Click here to check the price of the HoMedics Percussion Action Massager with Heat | Adjustable Intensity on Amazon’s website
The Wahl 4196 includes 8 different attachments which are easily inter-changeable and allows for a customizable massage for virtually any area of the body.
Whether you require a deep tissue massage in the larger muscle groups in the back and legs, a scalp massage to generate blood flow to the head, a gentle soothing facial massage, a spot massage in the joint and knuckle areas, or an overall full body relaxation massage, the is an attachment which will satisfy the need.
Its light weight and ergonomic shape makes it east to handle and maneuver over the entire body. In addition, its two speed and heat settings enhance the entire handheld massage experience.
It has a 4 Star rating and is one of the best values in the handheld massager marketplace.
- Includes 8 different attachments, each delivering a specific type of massage ranging from deep tissue to relaxation
- Dual speed control allowing for a tailored, customized massage
- Two heat settings providing warmth and relaxation, or deep penetrating heat
- Weighing only 1.8 pounds, it is small enough and light enough to carry in a suitcase or travel bag
- Not cordless meaning it must be used near an electrical outlet
- The handle can be a bit large for smaller hands, and some complaints about bulkiness
- Numerous attachments and no carrying case
Price: Click here to check the price of the Wahl 4196-1001 Heat Therapy Heated Therapeutic Massager on Amazon’s website
This is truly a full body handheld massager, which incorporates and simulates techniques from Shiatsu, Swedish, Chinese and Thai massage.
This is achieved by 6 heads which pivot as opposed to rotate and use what ACEVIVI call red light therapy which differs from infra red light.
In addition, the motor boasts 15 different speeds, and can reach an intensity of 3,100 rotations per minute.
The ACEVIVI Handheld Massager is cordless and comes with a lithium ion rechargeable battery which lasts up to 2 hours.
In addition, there is an AC adapter which allows the unit to be plugged into an electrical outlet.
This “sleeper” has a 4 Star rating based on 36 customer reviews and is well worth the investment.
- Full body handheld massager which ha the capability of simulating Shiatsu, Swedish, Chinese and Thai massage
- 6 heads and 15 speeds allowing for a customizable massage every time
- Effective on feet, calves, thighs, hips, abdomen, back, neck, knuckles, joints, and shoulders
- Cordless and rechargeable with the option of plugging into an electrical outlet
- Incorporate “red light heat therapy” to penetrate deep tissues and enhance the effect
- There are some concerns about the unit failing to work, however, ACEVIVI respond exceptionally well to customer service issues
- Too many options for someone looking for a basic overall massage
Price: Click here to check the price of the ACEVIVI Cordless Percussion Massager on Amazon’s website
It has earned the distinction of being an Amazon Best Seller, a designation which is not easy to achieve.
The Naipo Handheld Massager include 3 sets of inter-changeable nodes made of silicon and hard plastic.
The intensive nodes are used massage larger areas such as the back, waist, hips, and legs.
The rounded massage node is designed to perform a gentler massage experience and can be used on any part of the body.
And finally, the pinpoint massage node is used to target problem areas and simulates the Shiatsu massage experience.
The Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager MGPC-5000 has a 4.5 Star rating based on 518 customer reviews and is a real gem in the handheld massager arena.
- 6 massage heads made from silicon and plastic which can deliver a custom massage ranging from gentle to Shiatsu
- Wide variable speed range allowing for a simple relaxation massage to a deep tissue massage
- One of the most intense motors in the industry, capable of reaching 3,800 rotations per minute
- Deep, penetrating heat function which can reach 40 degrees Celsius, thus reducing muscle soreness and stiffness.
- Ideal for soothing all parts of the body including neck and shoulders, hips and waist, upper and lower back, and thighs and calves
- Not cordless, meaning that an electrical outlet must be available to operate the device
- Heat switch operates separately from the power switch, creating safety concern in leaving the heat in the on position
- Somewhat heavy and awkward for smaller individuals
Price: Click here to check the price of the Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager Electric Back Massage with Heat and Deep Tissue Massaging for Muscle Pain Relief on Amazon’s website
It is very easy to alternate by simply turning the handheld massager around.
This feature eliminates the need to stop the device to change attachments.
The Panasonic Handheld Massager has 3 massage settings, including the point massage, the massage roller massage, and wavy surface massage, each delivering unique experience.
Vibration rates are 5,000 times per minute on the gentle end, and 6,300 times per minute on the aggressive end.
Weighing only 1.6 pounds, it is easy to transport and use anywhere there is access to an electrical outlet.
It has a 4 Star rating based on 526 customer reviews, and it is great handheld massager for everyday use.
- Easy to switch from a vibration massage to a roller massage, with a simple twist to the head of the massager
- Three roller function makes for a great full body, soothing, relaxing massage
- Above average vibration rates penetrate deeper muscles and tissues to enhance the experience
- Curved design allows the middle and lower back to be easily accessed
- Relative small and light weight making it transportable and great for travel
- Require an electrical outlet to operate thus limiting locations of use
- The power cord is short and my require an extension
- The device has a tendency to twist in the hand when pressure is applied
Price: Click here to check the price of the PALOQUETH Cordless Wand Massager for Back Neck Shoulder Deep Tissue Massage on Amazon’s website
It sports double head percussion technology, with a variable speed slider to control the intensity of the massage.
The TheraRub, weighing 3.6 pounds is heavier than most of its competitors, in extremely durable, and packs a punch.
It is not cordless, however, it does come with a 14’ power cord which provides more flexibility that its shorter cord competitors.
The TheraRub Massager Percussion Double Head Electric Massager has a 4.5 Star rating based on 835 customer reviews and is ideal if you are looking for more power and clinical grade massager.
- High quality, full size, professional grade handheld massager capable of simulating a massage performed by a massage therapist
- Includes 3 massage heads, each designed to achieve a specific massage function
- 14’ extra long cord reducing the need for an extension cord
- Includes two deep percussion heads and three attachments
- Large, heavy, and cumbersome for one person to use
- May have too much power and intensity for personal use
- Not cordless
Price: Click here to check the price of the TheraRub Massager Percussion Double Head Electric Massager on Amazon’s website
Staying ahead of the curve, the design of the Brookstone Handheld massager, is not only appealing to the eye, but extremely functional as well.
Its slim design makes it easy to hold and control, and includes 3 different massage heads, each providing unique massage experiences.
In addition, it has several variable speed options, and comes with an easy to hold handle to reach those difficult get to areas.
The Brookstone is well built and ideal to relieve stress, aches, pains, tension, and fatigue for the entire body.
It is 4 Star rated based on 103 review, and although we have listed it as #7, it could easily have been rate higher on our list.
- Can be used on all parts of the body, and has enough power to deliver a deep massage or a simple relaxation massage
- Variable speed control in conjunction with the 3 massage heads provides enough flexibility to customize you massage
- Small, light weight, portable, and comes with a zippered carrying case
- Well built and backed by the Brookstone name
- Somewhat loud, detracting from the relaxation idea of massage
- Not cordless
Price: Click here to check the price of the Brookstone 672469 Sport Handheld Massager on Amazon’s website
Last Updated on