Reading time: 17 minutes
What is a Head Massager?
If you have gotten your hair washed at a hair salon or had a full head and scalp massage at a health spa, you understand what a ravishing experience that can be.
It would be nice to have a professional head massage everyday, however, for most of us the cost to do so is out of reach.
The purpose of a personal home head massager is to re-create that experience, anytime you wish in the privacy of your own home.
Head massagers come in a variety of different shapes and styles.
Some resemble a helmut, others are hand held, some are electric, and others are manual.
The following information is intended to assist you in your journey to finding the right head massager for you.
Article at a glance
- 1 What is a Head Massager?
- 1.1 What Are The Benefits of a Head Massage?
- 1.2 How To Choose The Right Head Massager
- 1.3 The 7 Best Head Massagers In 2018
- 1.3.1 #1 Breo iDream3 Eye and Head Massager
- 1.3.2 #2 Breo iSee 3S Electric Eye Massager
- 1.3.3 #3 Norlanya Head Massager KS-2800A
- 1.3.4 #4 Panasonic Head-Spa Scalp Aesthetic Massager EH-HM94
- 1.3.5 #5 HailiCare Electric Scalp Massager
- 1.3.6 #6 Tei Spa Scalp Cleansing And Massaging Tool
- 1.3.7 #7 Vitagoods Scalp Massaging Shampoo Brush
What Are The Benefits of a Head Massage?
Massaging the head and more specifically the scalp, provide some unique benefits which cannot be reaped by massaging other areas of the body.
The primary benefits of head and scalp massage include:
Alleviation of Headaches
Most headaches stem from tension and tightness in the back and shoulders, however, to prevent and eliminate headaches, massage must also be applied to head as well, to move cerebral fluids to remove blockages and create balance.
Nerves, muscles, and blood vessels are stimulated providing a release and relief.
Studies have shown that a head massage can actually boost memory, and it is believed that loss of short-term memory can be attributed to an over whelming number of thoughts entering the brain simultaneously.
Head massage is believed to slow down the thought process through relaxation and help improve short-term memory.
Promotes Clear Thinking
When the oxygen supply to the brain is reduced as a result of blood vessel restriction, it is not uncommon for people to experience feelings of cloudiness, leading to anxiety and even depression.
Massaging the head can stimulate blood flow, and in turn, oxygen to the brain, thus promoting clear thinking and creativity, increasing general awareness, and enhancing their mood.
Like any massage, a head massage can provide a tremendous relaxation effect, reducing anxiety, improving sleep, and creating a calming feeling.
Manages Dandruff and Promotes Hair Growth
Increasing circulation and bringing impurities and toxins to the surface of the scalp prior to washing, can have a positive effect on hair follicles and enhance the health and growth of hair.
The Breo line of massage products are manufactured in Shenzhen, China by Shenzhen Breo Technology, and are distributed in the rest of the World by Breo USA.
The company moto is “Health starts from the head”, and the company focuses on research to provide cutting edge technology, quality, and excellence in everything they do.
Their vision is very simple, “To be the best portable massage supplier”, and that certainly spoke loudly when we complied our list of 7 Best Head Massagers.
Breo only manufacture portable massagers, and have a complete line of products including:
- Head massagers
- Eye massagers
- Neck massagers
- Mini massagers
- Hand massagers
How To Choose The Right Head Massager
Due to the vast number of head massagers on the market today, choosing the right head massager for you can be an arduous task.
To assist you in the process, we have outlined the important considerations to help you simplify your search.
Depending on your budget and individual requirements, it may be prudent to purchase an inexpensive handheld massager as well as a more expensive unit with more features.
What am I using it for?
Here you must determine exactly what the head massager is going to be used for.
Do you have a chronic migraine headache condition?
Will it be used to cleanse and massage the scalp in the shower?
Do I just want to relax at the end of the day or before bed?
This must be determined at the outset of the process as it provides the basis of where to start looking.
What is my budget?
Head massagers range from under $20, for a simple manual handheld device, to $500 or $600, for a device with all the bells and whistles, like heat, variable speeds, and multiple attachments.
Helmut Style, Handheld, Electric, or Manual
Head massagers come in a variety of different shapes, sizes, and designs, which must be determined in the decision-making process.
The Helmut Style Head Massager, as the name suggests, fits on the head is generally controlled by a handheld remote-control device.
The helmut style is electric, has a higher price point, but generally includes many features such as heat, vibration, air pressure, and music.
The Handheld Massager can come in both manual and electric, and can provide a simple relaxation massage, or a full cleanse and massage.
Price points are generally lower than their Helmut style counterparts.
Following is a list of other considerations which apply to the electric models:
- Cordless versus Coded
- Lithium ion rechargeable batteries versus AAA or AA batteries
- Length of time batteries hold their charge or need replacing
- Water proof or water resistant
- Weight and shape
- Speed and heat settings
- Air pressure, vibration, and / or finger type massage
- Use on other areas of the body
- Built in music player and speakers
The 7 Best Head Massagers In 2018
This multi-functional massager distributes a combination of air pressure, vibration, and heat to the head and eye, with adjustable settings to provide optimal soothing and relief to the head.
The Breo iDream3 is cordless and comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery, in addition, it includes an MP3 player which further complements the relaxation experience.
There are currently very few customer reviews on Amazon, however, the Breo iDream3 is a quality product which provides tremendous value for the price.
- Customizable with 5 air pressure settings, 5 vibration settings, and 2 heat settings
- Built in MP3 player which allows the user to download their own personal type of music
- Wireless remote control which can be easily operated while viewing through the see-through visor
- Cordless and includes a quick rechargeable lithium ion battery allowing the device to be used anywhere
- The helmut can feel uncomfortable for some individuals
- May be a little pricey for those looking for a basic head massager
More specifically, the device uses a combination of air pressure, vibration, and heat to stimulate the Cuanza, Shizkukong, Temple, Changi, and Qingming acupoint areas around the eyes and temples to provide relief.
The Breo iSee 3s is comfortable to wear and includes a built-in speaker for personalized music.
With a rating of 4 Stars, the Breo iSee 3S Eye Massager is tops the eye massager category.
- 3 modes which combine air pressure, vibration, and heat to provide maximum relief from eye strain, eye fatigue, and headaches
- Designed specifically for the eyes, and precisely target the acupoint areas which are proven to release tension
- Compact and cordless, and includes a rechargeable lithium ion battery
- Includes a built-in speaker, with all controls situated on the device
- The battery takes up to 6 hours to charge and does not always hold the charge
- The face pads inside the unit are not comfortable on the skin
Price: Click here to check the price of the Breo iSee 3S Electric Eye Mask Massager with Heating on Amazon’s website
Its design allows you to use it while sitting up, while you sleep, during walks, or simply resting.
The Norlanya Head Massager KS-2800A, boasts 4 unique massage programs which include, air pressure deep massage, hot compress massage, vibration massage, and a music program.
In addition, each program gas multiple settings, allowing for a customizable massage experience.
The KS-2800A targets critical acupoints in the head and facial areas, resulting in a better sleep, headache alleviation, or plain relaxation.
The Norlanya Head Massager KS-2800A, has a 4 Star rating based on 37 customer reviews, and is great head massager for the price.
- Adjustable helmet fits any size head and allows for a truly hands-free head massage experience
- 4 unique massage modes, each with multiple settings creates a fully customizable massage, tailored to your exact requirements
- Hand held remote, controls all program functions, music, on / off, and heat settings
- Three power sources: USB cord, wall plug charger or 4 pieces of AA batteries
- Does not include rechargeable batteries, and AA battery replacement can be expensive
- Compression on the head may be somewhat uncomfortable for some, and the heat lacks in intensity
Price: Click here to check the price of the NORLANYA Electric Head Massager KS-2800A (Helmet Type) on Amazon’s website
The Panasonic head spa simulates a massage prom a professional massage therapist, by utilizing a 4 finger spiral type motion which cleans the scalp and stimulates circulation to deliver a relaxing and soothing head massage.
The 4 massage heads rotate in opposite directions and have 3 independent settings, low, medium, and rhythmic.
The Panasonic Head-Spa Scalp Aesthetic Massager EH-HM94, has a 4 Star rating, and delivers a superior scalp massage.
- Effective for relieving stress, tension, and chronic headaches, by stimulating blood flow in the scalp region
- Cordless, and comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery which charges quickly, and holds its charge for many hours
- The unit is entirely water proof which means it can be used in the shower, bath, or steam room
- Soft, comfortable, and easy to use right out of the box
- Instruction manual is in Japanese; however, the unit is simple to operate and quite self explanatory
Price: Click here to check the price of the Panasonic Head-Spa Scalp Aesthetic Massage Attachment (Replacement EH-HM94-S) EH-2H02-H Gray (Japan Import) by Panasonic on Amazon’s website
Don’t let its small size and simplistic look deceive you, as this multifunctional device is highly effective in delivering a relaxing scalp massage.
The HalliCare is specifically design to gently massage acupressure points throughout the head and scalp region, stimulating blood flow to release stress and tension which has accumulated from the stresses of the day.
Weighing only 7 ounces, this compact, battery operated head massager is easily transportable and can be used virtually anywhere.
The HailiCare Electric Scalp Massager has a 4 Star rating based on 38 customer reviews and has received the “Amazon’s Choice” designation.
- Incorporates both a shaking and tapping motion which can reach 8,500 vibrations per minute, providing maximum tension to the entire head region
- Excellent means of bringing toxins to the surface prior to washing your hair, or after bathing to enhance the relaxation experience
- Very low price point, providing great value for the investment
- Simple and easy to use as all functions are controlled by a single button
- Runs on AAA batteries which are not included in the box, which can be expensive
- The device is not water proof
In addition, the HairSonic provides full benefits of scalp stimulation, increased hair growth, promotion of relaxation, and relief from headaches.
Further, intensity is strong enough to produce the desired effects, yet gentle enough to be used a few times per day.
The unit only has a 2.5 Star rating on Amazon, however, that is based on 6 reviews.
Our other sources or research place the Tei Spa Scalp Cleansing And Massaging Tool much higher.
- Water proof so it can be used in the shower or on wet or dry hair, to ensure optimum results
- Deep cleansing method is substantially better than washing hair with the hands
- Promotes, hair growth, and healthy hairs by using its proprietary 2 step scalp cleanse and scalp massage system
- Easily recharged in 2 hours by placing the device back on its base
- The brush head must be replaced every 2-3 months as it breaks down due to normal wear and tear
- The price point is a little high in comparison to competitive models, however, we feel the value is there
- The charge only last for 20 minutes
Price: Click here to check the price of the Scalp Cleansing And Massaging Tool: Hair Sonic System. Head and Scalp Cleansing and Exfoliation Tool for Men and Women on Amazon’s website
By increasing blood circulation and promoting exfoliation of the scalp, you can feel entirely refreshed every time you get out of the shower.
The Vitagoods head massager runs on 2 AA batteries, and provides and has proven to be an excellent device to alleviate dandruff.
Although the Vitagoods Scalp massager is water proof, it cannot be totally immersed in water.
The Vitagoods Scalp Massaging Shampoo Brush boasts a 4 Star rating based on almost 1,500 customer reviews, and at its affordable price point is a tremendous value.
- Can be easily incorporated into your daily shower routine providing a rejuvenating and invigorating feeling every time you step out of the shower
- Exfoliates and cleanses the scalp, promotes hair growth, manages dandruff, and provides relaxation using vibrating fingers
- Compact and easy to use as it fits comfortably in the palm of the hand
- Available in White, Black, Green, and Purple
- Runs on 2 AA batteries which have to b replaced frequently
- Water resistant not water proof, meaning the unit cannot be totally submerged in water
Price: Click here to check the price of the Vitagoods Scalp Massaging Shampoo Brush on Amazon’s website