Reading time: 13 minutes
What Is a Neck Massager?
A neck massager is quite simply, a device, either electric or manually operated, which relieves stress, tension, soreness, and pain which settles in the neck area.
Because muscles, tendons, and ligaments extend throughout the shoulders, into the neck, and up into the base of the skull, a neck massager must be able to accommodate all three areas.
A neck massager can be used as a means of relaxation after a tough day at work, or for medical purposes to help repair and speed up the healing process after an injury.
A good neck massager can closely simulate the pressing and kneading action performed by a licenced massage therapist, and many people report very comparable results.
Article at a glance
- 1 What Is a Neck Massager?
- 1.1 Benefits of Neck Massage
- 1.2 Popular Neck Massager Brands
- 1.3 How To Find The Right Neck Massager
- 1.4 Types of Neck Massagers
- 1.5 Other Considerations
- 1.6 Top 5 Neck Massagers In 2018
- 1.6.1 #1 Brookstone Cordless Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager with Heat
- 1.6.2 #2 FIVE S Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager with Heat
- 1.6.3 #3 Gideon Portable Shiatsu Massager for Back, Neck, Shoulder and Feet
- 1.6.4 #4 Naturalico Shiatsu Kneading Massager For Neck, Shoulder, Foot, And Back
- 1.6.5 #5 Bruntmor, Cordless Shiatsu Neck & Back 3-D Heat Kneading Massager
- 1.7 Summing It All Up
Benefits of Neck Massage
In addition to muscles, tendons, and ligaments, the neck area is comprised of a neurovascular bundle which is comprised of lymphatics, nerves, veins, and arteries which extend throughout the body.
As a result, providing a neck massage can have a positive effect on the well being of the entire body.
Some of the main benefits of neck massage are:
- Relaxation, Stress Relief, and Tension Alleviation
- Increased Circulation and Blood flow
- Accelerated Injury Recovery Rate
- Insomnia Relief
- Improves Posture
- Improves Mobility, Flexibility, and Range Of Motion
- Eases Muscle Pain and Soreness
- Lowers Heart Rate
- Very Cost Effective versus Paying For a Massage Therapist
- Able to Access Neck Massage Any Time And Any Where
As you can see, there are a vast amount of benefits to neck massage which not only have a positive effect on the physical aspects of the body, but on the psychological and mental side as well.
Popular Neck Massager Brands
With the abundance of neck massager models and brands on the market, it can be difficult to identify the ones which provide superior quality, and service.
We have decided to profile two such brands.
NAIPO, originally founded over 25 years ago in Europe, has grown its global presence to more than 25 countries worldwide.
Part of their corporate mission is to provide affordable, comfortable and reliable massage products that utilize modern technologies and support healthier lifestyles.
NAIPO has certainly delivered on that promise.
Zyllion is a California, USA based company which has been providing massage and other health related product which target specific parts of the body including neck, back, shoulders, and feet.
Their goal is to provide top quality at an affordable price.
Zyllion is seen as an industry leader of massage products, and other products which contribute to the well being of the entire body.
How To Find The Right Neck Massager
When you type the phrase “neck massager” into the Google search engine, you receive over 31 million results.
Therefore, identifying and choosing the right neck massager can be a challenging task.
We hope the following information helps you cut through the vast amount of information, and simplify the process by pointing out some of the important considerations when choosing the optimal neck massager for you.
Types of Neck Massagers
There are three basic types of neck massagers, each providing a unique massage experience.
The first step is to choose the one which best achieves your massage goal(s) – relaxation, therapeutic, injury recovery.
Shiatsu Neck Massager
Shiatsu is a form of Japanese massage which involves the use of the hands and fingers to pinpoint and apply pressure to areas of the body to relieve pain, stress, and tension.
Shiatsu neck massagers replicate this procedure by using 4 or 8, hard balls, called nodes, which rotate in both directions, kneading the pressure points.
Most incorporate heat to enhance the deep tissue massage experience and come in pillow and hand strap styles.
Percussion Neck Massagers
Percussion neck massager use a hammering or beating motion to send vibrations deep into muscle tissue.
Heat is often applied in conjunction with the percussion or drumming action to intensify the effectiveness of the massage.
Many believe that the percussion massage is the best way to obtain a true deep tissue massage with the hands of a massage therapist, however, we believe that argument to be questionable.
Vibration Neck Massagers
Vibration neck massagers, are used primarily for relaxation purposes as the simply vibrate and reach muscle areas close to the surface of the skin.
Some neck massagers combine both the percussion and vibration action into one unit, providing the convenience of a deep tissue massage and relaxation massage in one.
Cordless versus Corded
It is important to determine where you intend on using your neck massager the most.
Do you travel and wish to take it with you?
Will it be used at home and at the office?
Do you intend to use it in the car?
These are all considerations determining whether a cordless model is the best option.
In addition, if used in a vehicle, it is also prudent to ensure that the device includes a car adapter.
Cushion Style or Strap Style
The cushion style neck massager allows the unit to be strapped to a chair or a car seat.
Once secured, it allows you to position and re-position your neck to achieve maximum results.
The strap style neck massager provides two straps which hang down the front of the body, allowing you to apply more or less pressure.
In addition, it can be easily maneuvered to target areas of the neck, shoulders, and back.
Power intensity does not come into play with the Shiatsu Neck Massager, as the Shiatsu nodes, or rollers, simply rotate at varying speeds and directions.
The percussion neck massagers however, must have enough power intensity to reach the deep tissues within the body.
Power intensity is determined by wattage, and a good rule of thumb is to look for a neck massager which has a minimum power of 25 watts.
Top 5 Neck Massagers In 2018
With so many excellent neck massagers in the marketplace today, sorting through the tremendous amount of information available in the internet can be a very challenging task.
We have looked at a countless number of models and have come up with the following 7 best neck massagers in 2018.
We based our choices on customer reviews, value, reliability, and functionality.
The Brookstone Cordless Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager with Heat name stands for quality, reliability, and functionality, and has made the top of our list of 7 best neck massagers for that reason.
Although the Brookstone Cordless Neck and Back massager is somewhat larger than most of it’s portable counterparts, its hand-held straps allow you target, with precision and accuracy, the exact problem areas.
The 8 Shiatsu massage nodes, and intense heat function, can relieve neck tension, and alleviate neck pain in those areas which are difficult to access.
Receiving a 4.5 out of 5 Star rating, based on 167 reviews, it’s no wonder Brookstone Cordless Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager, is our #1 choice.
- Cordless with a rechargeable lithium battery allowing the unit to be used anywhere
- Shiatsu massage nodes which can be set to rotate in one direction, or in an auto-reverse pattern
- Adjustable handles allow for laser targeting the problem areas, and providing relief in the proper areas
- Heat function in conjunction with the percussion action, simulates a deep tissue massage performed by professional massage practitioners
- A little bit pricier than competitive models, but well worth the money
- Inability to adjust the intensity as it is a one strength fits all device
Price: Click here to check the price of the Brookstone Cordless Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager with Heat on Amazon’s website
Although the Five S Massager was designed for neck and shoulder massage, it is versatile enough to provide an effective massage on the back, thighs, and feet.
The FIVE S Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager, is ideal for anyone who experiences chronic neck pain, and with its car adapter, is great for travelling long distances in a vehicle.
This neck massager is comparable to more expensive competitive models as it includes heat, a reverse function, and 8 Shiatsu nodes.
Not surprisingly, it boasts a 4.5 Star ranking based on 1,120 customer reviews.
- Tremendous value for the price
- The massage rollers are bi-directional meaning that they can be reversed to maximize the effectiveness of the neck massage experience
- Includes 8 kneading Shiatsu nodes, the ability to turn heat on or off, and has an auto off mechanism for safety
- Operation of the device requires an electrical outlet or auxiliary vehicle plug, limiting its portability
- The fabric covering is somewhat rough and can be irritating on the skin. It is recommended that a towel or cloth be placed on bare skin
- At times the Shiatsu nodes can make an undesirable loud sound
Price: Click here to check the price of the FIVE S Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager with Heat on Amazon’s website
The Gideon Portable Shiatsu Neck Massager, with its 8 Shiatsu nodes, which rotate in both directions, and its soothing deep heating therapy, provides and experience which is as close to a massage from a professional massage therapist, you will find with any neck massage device.
It has a 4 Star rating out of 170 customer reviews, and is an absolute force to be reckoned with in the neck massage market.
- The 8 Shiatsu node rotating action, provides the same feel and results as a professional massage practitioner
- Deep penetrating heat in conjunction with the reversing action of the Shiatsu rollers provides a deep tissue massage which is second to none
- Can be positioned on the neck, shoulders, and back to pinpoint problem areas and relieve stress, tension, ache, and pains
- The device is not cordless, and requires an electrical outlet or auxiliary outlet in a vehicle to operate
- Some people find the unit noisy which can detract from the relaxing massage experience
- The electrical cord is quite short and may require an extension
Price: Click here to check the price of the Gideon Portable Shiatsu Massager for Back on Amazon’s website
With its 4 multi-directional Shiatsu nodes, the Naturalico Shiatsu Kneading Massager can be highly effective in reducing stress, tension, and soreness in other areas of the body including the back, thighs, calves, and feet.
Weighing only 4.5 pounds, this light weight unit can be easily transported and used at home, in the office, or in the vehicle.
It has a 4 Star rating based on 1,223 customer reviews, and has earned 4th spot in our 7 Best Neck Massager List In 2018.
- Very light weight and portable, but strong enough to deliver an intense deep tissue massage
- Comes with an AC cord and car adapter cord allowing it to be used at home, the office, or in the car
- The design, and 4 Shiatsu rollers, make the Naturalico Shiatsu Kneading Massager, an excellent full body massage unit
- It is not a cordless device, thus restricting its portability
- The kneading action may be a bit to aggressive and rough for people who are sensitive and have a low tolerance for pain
- Not as durable as similar competitive models
Price: Click here to check the price of the Naturalico Shiatsu Massager – Kneading Massage Therapy for Foot on Amazon’s website
The Bruntmor Cordless Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager, features 8 Shiatsu massage rollers which, when the heat function is turned on, can provide a relaxing, stress relieving massage to unwind at the end of the day, or a deep tissue massage to relive muscle pain and soreness.
The neck massager is cordless and comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery, meaning it can be used anywhere.
It holds a 4.5 Star rating based on 376 customer reviews, and has been given the “Amazon’s Choice” distinction.
- Truly a rechargeable cordless neck massager which allows it to be used anywhere
- Great value as most competitive cordless models are priced much higher
- The 8 multi-directional nodes, with heat penetration provide a “therapy-like” neck massage for relaxation or muscle repair
- Comes with a carrying case / bag which accommodate easy transportation
- The Shiatsu nodes are quite hard and may be too aggressive on bare skin. A towel or pad is recommended
- The heat function can take as long as 10 minutes to reach the highest heat level
- Pressure needs to be applied to achieve maximum pain relief
Price: Click here to check the price of the Cordless Rechargeable Neck & Back Shiatsu Massager By Bruntmor | 3-D Deep Kneading Portable Full Body Massager With Heat | Ideal For Relieving Shoulder on Amazon’s website
Summing It All Up
We hope the information provided simplifies the process of choosing the best neck massager for you.
A neck massager is a very personal item, one you must feel confident using.
Whether it is a Shiatsu pillow massager, or a percussion style, a neck massager can provide relaxation and pleasure for many years to com.
Last Updated on