Reading time: 10 minutes
A Quick Look at Organifi
These dried and powdered juices come in three different flavours each claiming to give the user a range of different health boosts. Their range of ‘Green’ juices supply the body with a selection of dried and powdered superfoods. The ‘Red’ juice is aimed at promoting a healthy metabolism and the ‘Gold’ juice advertises itself as aiding in pain relief, providing antioxidants and phytonutrients. Two more juices are also sold with this company, one acting as a protein supplement and the other as a basic probiotic mix.
These dried mixes are designed to be blended with your favourite liquid, be it coconut milk or just plain old water and consumed to provide you with a big mix of a select group of superfoods. Rather than spending money on each individual ingredient separately and going through the hassle of chopping, blending and measuring them yourself, Orginifi do it all for you.
Eat tub consists of a proprietary blend of a long list of ingredients. This abides by the law of having a complete list of ingredients on the packaging but sadly it doesn’t list the actual measurements of each so it is hard to really asses just what each ingredients effects will be.
What Does it Do?
There is no doubt that a healthy dose of superfood every day will give your body a very welcomed boost. Keeping on top of your intake of healthy nutrients, antioxidants, proteins and vitamins will keep a body running at peak performance and allow it to do more, go further and feel better for longer. Of course, just drinking them once a day in a mix will not substitute eating healthily every meal but it can give a lift to a diet or lifestyle that may not have everything the body really needs. A healthy boost to the diet will aid in the immune system, keep the metabolism at a healthy rate and aid in fat burning and energy levels.
Each superfood gives a different health benefit and with these different tubs each containing a different proprietary blend they have focussed something specific that can be changed about a lifestyle. The green tub has combined a selection of superfoods that are designed to give an all round boost to the body.
The comprehensive blend is achieved with a mix of ingredients like Mint for healthy sleep, Green tea for energy and antioxidants and Turmeric which is an anti-inflammatory. The Red selection includes, among other things; Acai for a metabolism speed up, Pomegranates for its natural nutrients and Raspberry for the skin benefits.
This Red tub advertises as being great for slimming, metabolism speed and helping the skin stay healthy. Less of an all rounder and more of a weight and skin targeted juice. The Gold juice is aimed mostly at keeping your body healthy, fighting off sickness and keeping energy levels up. It is designed to be drunk before sleep to aid in a peaceful night and the feeling of being refreshed and energised in the morning. A few of the key ingredients included are; Turkey Tail Mushroom for boosted immunity, Lemon Balm Magnesium for relaxation and Ginger for healthier digestion.
Breaking Down the Ingredients
As mentioned before, each tub contains a different proprietary blend of superfoods designed to aid different things. Taking a look at a few of the key ingredients will really help determine what the expected effect would be. Due to the mix being proprietary rather than individually weighed and listed, a precise effect cannot be determined. It is only possible to look at the effect of each ingredient and note that.
Organifi Green Juice
The all rounder from the Organifi selection. This juice is supposed to give the boost needed to keep a healthy body and good energy levels. A detailed look at some of the ingredients will reveal just what can be expected.
This Algae is grown in fresh water and is usually imported from Taiwan and Japan. The algae is rich in nutrients, proteins and fats but these can vary heavily depending on the crop.
Studies have found the levels of protein to vary from 7% to 88%, levels of carbohydrates to vary from 6% to 38% and the levels of fat to vary from 7% to 75%.1 This can make the algae quite unreliable as a supplement, but apart from these factors it is still rich in good bacteria and other health benefits.
It is often used to aid in digestion, detoxifying the body and giving a much needed protein boost to the body. There is little scientific research to back the uses of this Algae but it has been used for a good many years.
This is an ingredient often used in cooking and can be found in Chinese and Indian food markets and is considered one of the superfoods. The active agent, Curcumin, is what the body really benefits from.
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years in medicines and has been considered a valid cure or aid for a number of ailments. Not enough actual scientific trials have been conducted on it to give it serious medical backing but it’s years of use can speak for it.
It has been used to cure Arthritis and Tendinitis in the past due to its anti inflammatory properties.
This is another cultivated Algae. It can be bought as a supplement in a number of different forms. This algae is very rich in a huge amount of the vitamins, proteins and fats the body needs to be healthy.
It is easy to produce and is being researched as a possible space food on the next trip to Mars.2 The addition of this dried algae to the juice will provide a great hit of healthy proteins and vitamins.
Organifi Red Juice
This particular juice promotes itself as a weight loss and skin healing supplement to your usual diet. Using a combination of different superfoods and supplements the metabolism is sped up, energy levels are kept up and skin is maintained at a healthy glow. By taking a look at some choice ingredients it is possible to see how these effects are achieved.
- This is one of the more recognisable ingredients in such powdered supplement and superfood juices. It has become a hugely popular ingredient and it’s praises are being sung across the dietician community. The ingredient itself come from the fruit of the Acai Palm, native to Central and South America.
- This berry is known to be incredibly rich in anti oxidants and will boost the bodies levels significantly. The body can only take in so much though and will stop absorbing it at a certain point. No doubt, this is one of the best ingredients for natural anti oxidants but you can have too much. Due to the proprietary blend, it isn’t actually possible to assess just how much is in each serving.
- Siberian Ginseng
- They have opted to use Siberian Ginseng in this mix rather than regular Ginseng. This is the cheaper version of the more commonly used American or Panax Ginseng. Ginseng has many health benefits that have been used for years. Research has been put into the uses of this herb and it has been found not only to strengthen the immune system and ward off such common ailments as colds but also to relieve fatigue and stress
- This was originally found in the mountainous regions of China. It was discovered as a fungus that grows on caterpillars. It was able to be reproduced in laboratories. The drying and powdering of this fungus has been used in many supplements and is supposed to aid in energy levels and the regulation of the metabolism. There has not been sufficient scientific research to actually prove this but it has been used by a significant amount of supplement companies and herbal medicines.
Organifi Gold Juice
Unlike the previous two powders, this product sells itself as a night time tea rather than as a juice. It is to be taken before sleep at night to aid in good rest, healthy rejuvenation and an energy filled day when waking up. It is also designed to help with issues such as headaches and feeling worn out.
- Lemon Balm Magnesium
- This ingredient is included in the mix to help relax and relieve stress for a peaceful night sleep or to take away the anxiety of a busy lifestyle. There has been some evidence found that support the claim that is is an effective anxiety relief. The lemon balm itself is derived from a leaf which is in the same family as mint. The flavour will be able to be tasted as slightly aromatic lemon.
- Turkey Tail
- This fungus also known as ‘Cloud Mushroom’ resembles very much its namesake with a big stripped colourful plume like mushroom. It has been used as far back as the 15th century3 in Chinese medicines. It is known for its immune system boosting benefits to help fight off all the little gripes and illnesses that will attack your body when working too hard or a little under the weather. It has been shown to help in digestion also, something that is always important after the last meal of the day whilst you sleep.
- Acacia Fibre
- It is widely understood that fibre is essential to healthy digestion, good energy levels and a well balanced lifestyle. This particular fibre does a lot more than just help with heart health and balance cholesterol, it also provides the body with loads of prebiotic. Prebiotic help feed the good bacteria in your body, also known as probiotics. This in turn help build antibiotics and fight off all the ailments our bodies can.
Does Organifi Work?
As a supplement to a healthy lifestyle these powdered juices will certainly give you a boost in nutrients, proteins and vitamins. Many peoples diets will lack in a few essentials that are quite hard to come by without buying expensive and hard to come by ingredients. With these juices it is possible to take in a lot of these without having to search the shelves or go to specialist shops.
Alongside providing the body with a lot of the necessary extras that come with a well rounded diet, these juices also provide a lot of things that would usually not be in the regular lifestyles intake. Certain ingredients give a boost that isn’t often found in the usual diet. Sleep promoting, immune system benefits, metabolism speeding and anxiety relief can all be found inside each one of these juices.
The uses of natural ingredients to make up all these powders means that what goes into them is not chemically enhanced and can be traced straight back to the source. There is much less chance of adverse effects or horrible reactions. On the other side though, a lot of these supplements provide something that our body caps out on and cannot actually absorb as much as is being provided. This isn’t always such a bad thing though, too much is usually better than too little when it comes to healthy additions to the diet.
Overall Organifi gets a 4.7 out of five. It is on the pricey side but the good flavour, diversity of intake and rich natural ingredients make it a great addition to anyone’s diet.