Reading time: 8 minutes
Why do men get stretch marks?
Most commonly thought of as affecting females, an increasing number of men also notice the appearance of stretch marks at some point during their lifetime.
Interestingly around 30% of anti-stretch mark products are now purchased by men.
While sudden gain or loss in weight may be the primary cause behind stretch marks in men, other reasons can be, rapid growth, heredity factors, stress and changes in physical conditions.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks (also known as striae) are visible lines on the skin surface that are caused by the over-stretching of skin.
When the skin is overstretched, the collagen is weakened, and its normal production cycle is interrupted and damaged; collagen is the main protein found in your connective tissue and is needed to keep your skin taut.
When this process is interrupted, the skin lacks the necessary support and ends up tearing, resulting in stretch marks.
Can you really get rid of stretch marks?
For females, stretch marks generally arise after pregnancy or puberty. For men, stretch marks most commonly arise due to bodybuilding or dieting where rapid weight loss or weight gain can occur within a short space of time.
Unfortunately, stretch marks can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance.
Not all hope is lost however, you can use some natural preparations to observe a humongous difference in your skin in a short space of time.
Firstly, lets take a look at three key area’s that will help you maximize the results from the natural remedies below.
Key area #1: regularly exfoliate your skin
Although commonly thought of as a female activity regular exfoliation can be the key to getting rid of stretch marks. When used in conjunction with the right stretch mark cream or moisturizer can work miracles for stretch marks.
The reason exfoliation works so well is that is eliminates dead skin cells and allows the cream to penetrate into deeper levels of your skin without being trapped on the surface.
Physical exfoliation can be done easily at home through a body scrub or loofah sponge.
Remember to exfoliate frequently if you’d like to see quicker results. Regular exfoliation can help fade stretch marks effectively, however you will need to use a rejuvenation cream or stretch mark cream to help heal your skin, especially if you notice peeling.
Key area #2: regularly moisturize your skin
Studies have shown that regularly moisturizing your skin can help increase skin hydration and minimize the appearance of your existing stretch marks. It can also hep to prevent new stretch marks from occurring.
By regularly massaging a stretch mark cream into the affected areas every day, you can help encourage new skin tissue growth and improve circulation, which also aids in collagen production.
Key area #3: avoid excessive exposure to the sun
Although most of us love a nice tan, too much sun exposure can sometimes make your stretch marks more prominent.
This is because stretch marks are resistant to tanning, so as your skin changes color your stretch marks tend to become more visible.
To avoid this remember to always use an appropriate sun protection cream such an SPF30+ or SPF50+ to ensure that your skin is properly protected from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Natural remedies for male stretch marks
Egg white has 40 different proteins. These nutrients help fade scars or stretch marks impressively. For stretch marks, you want to use only the egg whites, which contain amino acids and proteins.
This is by far the easiest remedy that you will ever find to fade/reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Whip the whites of two eggs gently with a fork
- Clean the affected skin area with water and then apply a thick layer of egg whites
- Leave it as such for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse with cold water
- Apply a few drops of coconut oil on the skin to keep it moisturized
- Follow this home remedy every day for at least two weeks and watch out for positive results
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera Gel contains skin repairing properties that help in skin regeneration thus removing stretch marks efficiently.
Although studies may be mixed, according to the Mayo Clinic, there is evidence form certain clinical studies to suggest that aloe vera may be effective in healing scars and stretch marks.
- Apply directly rub aloe vera gel on the affected skin area, leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse the skin with lukewarm water
- Repeat this home remedy at least two times daily to see outstanding results against stretch marks
Olive oil contains a lot of nutrients and antioxidants such as vitamin A, D and E that can help fade stretch marks on men. It is easily accessible and relatively cheap to purchase.
It is also a great moisturizing agent and can be massaged into skin to increase blood flow and circulation.
- Massage slightly warm extra-virgin olive oil into the affected skin area
- Leave it for half an hour so that the skin absorbs the vitamins A, D and E present in the oil
- For best results, mix olive oil with vinegar and water and use as a night cream, this will exfoliate and also keep your skin moisturized.
Citrus foods are great for your skin as they can fade your stretch marks, acne and other scars due to the presence of alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) and Vitamin C in them.
They can remove the dead skin cells thereby enhancing the stretch mark removal process.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions until it runs out of juice
- Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 15minutes
- Wash the area with warm water
- Follow this remedy once a day before going to bath for great results
In addition to tasting great, this miracle veggie is rich in antioxidants that protect the skin against free radicals and can also protect the skin from damage.
Make sure you keep this at home for both internal consumption and external application.
- Take ½ cup cucumber juice and ¼ cup lemon juice in a bowl
- Mix both the ingredients well
- Apply this mixed juice on the stretch marks
- Allow 10-15 minutes so that the juice will be absorbed by your skin well
- Wash it off with warm water
- Follow this remedy twice a day to get rid of stretch marks
Cocoa butter is loaded with antioxidant properties and is also very beneficial in treating stretch marks. it will nourish your skin and reduce the mar of stretch marks.
There are also a number of stretch mark creams that incorporate cocoa butter into their formula, such as Palmers Cocoa Butter.
- Take ½ cup of cocoa butter in a container and melt it in low flame
- Add 1 tsp of Vitamin E oil to it and stir well
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar (you can store this mixture in the refrigerator for further use)
- Take the mixture and apply it on the stretch marks
- Apply it two to three times daily. This combination will keep your skin hydrated and smooth
Other than satisfying your sweet cravings, white sugar is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of stretch marks.
We touched on how important skin exfoliation is at the beginning of this article. Sugar scrubs are a very effective way to exfoliate your skin.
Because sugar is a natural source of alpha hydroxy acid it can improve skin appearance and encourage new cell growth.
- Mix 1 tsp of almond oil ½ tsp of lemon juice and one tsp of sugar in a bowl
- Apply this mixture on the stretch marks
- Apply this mixture on the skin every day before taking a shower
A Few More Tips:
Avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks and all those food categorized ‘unhealthy’ but take one or two glasses of water several times during the day as this will help to keep your skin hydrated.
Overdoing with your weight lifts will cause muscle growth at a fast rate ultimately causing stretch marks on men. Follow a workout routine that includes stretching to gradually improve the elasticity of your skin.
Ensure that you do cardio exercises as this will help sufficient blood flow to your skin.
Eat healthy by including natural foods and fruits that contain Vitamin C, E, K, and zinc sufficiently.
Eat a lot of protein such as yogurt, seeds, eggs, soya beans, fish, chicken, etc.
Most importantly, have patience. These remedies will take time to achieve visible results. If you consistently keep at it, you can get rid of stretch marks on the body and be more confident of your body in the midst of others.
Remember to always consult your doctor before trying anything new.