Reading time: 13 minutes
Probiotics for Weight Loss
So you might have heard some of the hype behind probiotics and you’re probably wondering if it’s true or not.
Well, this supplement can do some amazing things and it’s definitely something to look into.
If you’re struggling with weight loss, a specialized probiotic may be exactly what you need to break through your plateau and kickstart your journey.
Article at a glance
- 1 Probiotics for Weight Loss
- 2 7 best probiotics for weight loss
- 2.1 #7 ProbioSlim Probiotics with Weight Loss Supplement
- 2.2 #6 Garden of Life Fitbiotic
- 2.3 #5 Renew Life Ultimate Flora Extra Care
- 2.4 #4 Nature’s Way Primadophilus Optima
- 2.5 #3 BioGanix Biopro-50 Ultimate Probiotic Supplement
- 2.6 #2 Scilliant Nutrients: Probiotic 40 Billion with Maktrek 3D Technology
- 2.7 #1 Hyperbiotics: PRO-15
Living within your small and large intestine there are trillions of friendly bacteria hanging out and assisting with your bodies digestion and absorption of the essential and helpful nutrients in the foods you consume.
Communities of probiotics in your gut, referred to as ‘gut flora’, will be made up of bacteria, yeast and microorganisms. Probiotics are essential for good gut health in men, women and children of all ages.
They can also assist with these kinds of medical conditions:
- Anxiety and depression
- Obesity/weight issues
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease
- Autoimmune disorders
A healthy individual can have over 400 species of probiotics in their body, there will be around 40 trillion good and bad bacterial cells – it’s normal to have bad bacteria, the key is balance!
Probiotics also help to regulate around 70% of the body’s immune function as well as hormones in women and assist the body in producing vitamins such as A, K and B1 among others.
Probiotic supplements have only become popular in the last couple of years because clinical trials are extremely time consuming and expensive. In recent times lots of evidence in favour of taking probiotic supplements has come to light and continues to flow into the public’s view.
The benefits are so vast and overwhelming it seems almost too good to be true, until you experience it for yourself that is.
Probiotics can also be found naturally in some popular foods like yoghurt, sauerkraut, kombucha and pickles.
The great thing about getting your dose of probiotics naturally is that the food can often feed the microflora in your gut as well as depositing the probiotics in there.
This is also called a prebiotic and will promote the growth of the probiotic bacteria. You can also find prebiotics in foods like onions, bananas and garlic.
But for those who don’t have the time to get a balanced diet full of these fermented foods into them, then a supplement is the perfect substitute to give your health the boost it needs.
Probiotics in the form of a supplement will pass through your body and hang around long enough for you to benefit from them before being flushed out of your system, so you’ve got to make sure you’re consuming the right ones.
Read on to find out how probiotic supplements can assist with your weight loss and how to pick out the best probiotic brand for you!
With obesity on the rise and becoming increasingly common (particularly within the United States), people are desperately searching for a way to negate the effects of their sedentary lifestyles and imbalances in their food consumption versus their energy output.
A research article published in 2016 states that obesity has more than doubled from 1980 to 2014, the latter year saw 11% worldwide obesity – a very alarming figure that continues to rise every day.
However, don’t panic just yet. The same article goes on to describe intestinal microflora as a metabolic pathway between the outside environment and the body in regards to inflammation, energy, metabolism and body weight management.
Basically, this means that all of the bacteria sitting in your gut can actually help to regulate your weight.
Several studies have been done on humans and animals that show obese individuals have very different gut bacteria to those who are in a normal weight range.
It is thought that possessing certain probiotics, especially the Lactobacillus strain, will limit the absorption of the fats in your diet and increase the amount you get rid of through normal bodily functions – so you’re essentially storing less unnecessary fat.
They can even help to release hormones that decrease your appetite in a natural and safe way whilst increasing metabolic rates by controlling blood sugar balance and fat in your liver.
As always though, be sure to consult a doctor about your weight loss journey to find out if taking a probiotic supplement is a safe and effective path for you, they’ll be able to give you extra information that could make choosing your probiotics much easier.
We also explain this in a little more detail below.
This is where it gets a little bit complicated. Not all strains of probiotic are made equal, some help with certain diseases and conditions and some will deal with others.
It’s important to know which ones you’re looking for and buy a brand or probiotic supplements with the most amount of relevant strains for your intended use – in this case, it’s weight loss.
To make it a bit easier, we’ve listed all the strains that can assist with weight loss and explained why they’re helpful so you know exactly which ones you need.
This will be the most helpful strain of bacteria for your weight loss goals. Lactobacillus live in your small intestine and produce lactase, an enzyme that breaks down the sugar in milk which is called lactose.
They create an acidic environment in your gut that wards off bad bacteria by fermenting the carbohydrates you consume into lactic acid. Lactic acid will also assist in the absorption of calcium, magnesium and iron – essential minerals for a healthy you!
Lactobacillus strains and what parts of weight loss they assist with:
- Plantarum – Produces fatty acids called conjugated linoleic acid that were shown in trials on mice to increase fat burning without limiting caloric intake
- Rhamnosus – Reduces fat mass and kick starts weight loss
- Salivarius – Introducing this to the body increases the amount of normal weight range bacteria and reduces the bacteria nomally found in obese individuals
- Paracasei – Inhibits the amount of fat absorption from the diet and reduces fat cell sizes to decrease fat production
- Gasseri – Reduces belly fat, waist and hip measurements and overall body weight
These strain of bacteria hangs out in your large intestine and protects your body from nasty bacteria and microorganisms such as yeast.
Like Lactobacillus, they produce lactic acid which creates energy needed by your cells to create a protective barrier in your gut. Bifidobacterium produces B vitamins for good digestion and energy production and vitamin K for strong and healthy skin, hair and bones.
Bifidobacterium strains and the aspects of weight loss they assist with:
- Bifidum, Longum and Infantis – When combined, can decrease glucose levels and inhibit insulin resistance in the body
- Animalis – Reduces Body Mass Index (BMI), cholesterol and inflammation in the gut
- Breve – Reduced weight and belly fat specifically, reduced cholesterol and fasting glucose which will reduce the risk of developing diabetes
- Check the culture count – Aim for at least 10 billion colony forming units (CFU’s) which will produce an effect, however, the more CFU’s the better!
- Check which strains are included – Make sure you’re getting the correct strains for weight loss and that there are as many different types as possible so you’re getting the full spectrum of benefits.
- Coating on capsules – Make sure your probiotic capsules have an acid-resistant coating. To protect them against harsh stomach acid on their way to your gut and avoid an upset tummy.
- Shelf life/refrigeration – Potency of probiotic supplements can be will reduce rapidly over time, make sure to get a bottle that’s been constantly refrigerated and has the further expiry date.
- Check the label – Avoid fillers in your probiotic and instead opt for one with natural vitamins and minerals.
- Prebiotics – Probiotics need some fuel to get them to do their thing, try to get a supplement that contains prebiotics as well to feed your new gut flora.
- Daily dose – You’ll need to be taking your probiotic supplement daily as they won’t stay in your system, aim for a once daily dose to make it easier to remember and remain consistent with dosage.
Containing green tea leaf, kiwi, fig and papaya extracts, this probiotic supplement combats a plethora of digestive issues.
The unique ingredients promote the renewal of non-fat encouraging flora in the gut to aid in weight loss.
A great, simple probiotic with natural ingredients to get you the results you’re after.
- Contains caffeine to boost energy and suppress appetite
- Lots of natural, fat burning ingredients
- Deals with all digestion and bloating issues
- Encourages growth of beneficial gut flora that discourage fat absorption
- Offers a two week free trial
- Company doesn’t disclose information regarding CFU’s and strains in dose
This probiotic was formulated by doctors to specifically target weight management, so it’s got a lot backing it.
It’s got a whopping 14 different strains combined with 50 billion CFU’s and Acacia, a natural prebiotic fibre to boost and ensure effectiveness on your weight loss journey.
- Sugar, dairy, soy and gluten free
- Vegetarian friendly
- No refrigeration required and excellent shelf life due to powder form
- 14 different probiotic strains
- 50 billion CFU’s per serving
- No flavour
- Once daily dose
- Sachet form which some people may find less convenient that a tablet
This probiotic is an easy choice from a very well-known company, boasting 50 billion CFU’s and 10 strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus which are knows to aid with weight loss.
Thi supplement will promote excellent digestive and immune function to provide you with energy and vitality.
- 50 billion CFU’s
- 10 strains of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus strains
- Promotes digestive and immune health whilst relieving digestion problems
- Gluten, soy and dairy free
- Once daily dose
- Available in 90 capsule bottle
- Not evaluated by the FDA yet
- Not vegetarian friendly
A great beginner’s probiotic supplement that comes with a guaranteed potency from Nature’s Way and is very transparent about all the strains in their product so you know exactly what you’re getting.
With 14 potent strains and 35 billions CFU’s, this probiotic supplement packs a punch – and you only need to take it once a day.
- Vegetarian friendly
- 35 billion CFU’s and 14 strains
- ‘Super blend’ of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus strains
- Boosts immune function
- Once daily dose
- Trusted brand
- Lower CFU than other brands
This potent supplement works in a multitude of ways to help the body lose weight, this includes reducing appetite, indigestion and bloating, increasing energy and claims to accelerate fat burning.
Contains 11 different strains including Lactobacillus Rhamnosus and Gasseri which specifically help with weight loss, you can’t go wrong with this one!
- 50 billion CFU’s per serving
- 11 different strains
- Extensively tested and made in an FDA certified facility
- Once a day capsule
- Also assists with stress, anxiety and liver health
- Some users have reported increased bloating
Combined with a balanced diet, this probiotic will detox your body to get it geared up for weight loss to give you quick results.
It’s also going to reduce bloating and focuses on immune and digestive health which are very important when shedding unwanted kilos.
- 40 billion CFU’s per serving
- FDA approved
- Detoxifies body
- Helps with bloating and constipation
- Aids healthy immune and digestive function
- Long shelf life
- Two tablets daily
- Only 4 strains
This probiotic supplement will give you more energy, replenish your good bacteria to aid in increased immune and digestive health, promote nutrient absorption and is gentle on a sensitive stomach.
The capsules are extra tough and designed to survive long enough in the body to make it through to all the furthest reaches of your intestines so you can feel the benefits and lose weight effectively.
Our top recommended probiotic for achieving your weight loss goals.
- Easy to swallow, small tablet
- Once a day dose
- Increases energy and encourages absorption of nutrients
- Doesn’t need to be refrigerated
- Tablets resist acids to make it further into the body than other probiotics
- 15 different strains
- Yeast, soy, wheat, nut, gluten, preservative and GMO free
- Vegetarian friendly
- Boosts metabolism for weight loss
- Only 5 billion (effective) CFU’s
- Can cause bloating and nausea in some consumers