Reading time: 12 minutes
Article at a glance
- 1 What is the Keto Diet?
- 1.1 Benefits Of The Keto Diet
- 1.2 The 5 Best Keto Protein Powders in 2018
- 1.3 Summing It Up
What is the Keto Diet?
The Keto or Ketonic diet is a low carbohydrate diet, inducing the production of ketones in the liver to provide an energy source.
High carb intake produces glucose, the body’s first in converting and exuding energy, and insulin which is used to process the energy.
As a result of this process, fats are stored in the body.
According to Smart Ketogenic, the Keto diet reduces carbohydrate intake, forcing the body into a state of Ketosis. This generates the formation of Ketones which are burned instead of glucose, thus increasing metabolism and having a positive effect on fat loss and weight.
Benefits Of The Keto Diet
The Keto diet has become extremely popular and is no surprise that many supplement manufacturers have jumped on the band wagon by producing specialized keto protein powders.
The Keto low carb, high fat diet has many inherent benefits including the following:
By far the most popular reason that that people adopt the Keto diet.
It burns fat as opposed to glucose as a primary means of energy with the result being loss of weight.
As a result of reduction of insulin, the hormone responsible for storing fat, the body essentially becomes a fat burning mechanism.
Blood Sugar Management
The Keto diet is a popular choice among diabetics as the it has the effect of lowering blood sugar levels, making it much easier to manage blood sugar.
It is not uncommon to see diabetics lose the requirement to give themselves insulin shots after being on the keto diet for a period of time.
Ketones provide have proven to have a positive effect on the brain and improve concentration, focus, and the ability to learn and retain information.
Levelling out blood sugar spikes, in conjunction with increasing fatty acids, will increase overall mental performance.
Increase in Energy
Burning fats as opposed to glucose creates a much more efficient energy source and provides a feeling of fullness for a longer period.
As a result, energy levels are increased, resulting in fat loss.
Dating back many years, the Keto diet has been used to successfully treat epilepsy in children and more recently, it has proven to work in adults.
It is a great non-medicinal alternative to the conventional treatments used by the medical profession.
Positive Effect On Cholesterol
Studies have shown that low carb, high fat diets like the keto diet, reduce the bad cholesterol, (LDL), ad increase the levels of the good cholesterol (HDL), having a positive effect on the arterial structure within the body, resulting in lower risk of heart disease.
Lower Insulin Levels
Plain and simple, a vast amount of research has proven that the Ketonic diet with its low carb, high fat components can reduce levels of insulin to healthy, manageable levels.
Although not spoken about often, the Keto diet has shown some improvements in skin issues such as acne and skin inflammation.
There seems to be a link from high carb intake to blemished and unhealthy looking skin.
The 5 Best Keto Protein Powders in 2018
Perfect Keto Chocolate Protein Powder is our #1 choice for best keto protein powder in 2018, and also topped our list of best low carb protein powders.
The primary ingredient of Perfect Keto is collagen, an essential protein which is not usually included in most people’s diet, however, it is a vital structural protein contributing to good health.
Collagen protein contributes to improving hair, nails, and skin, and makes up about 30% protein complex in the human body.
Perfect Keto Collagen is a grass-fed protein with each scoop containing 10 grams of collagen protein, and 1 gram of carbs.
In addition, it includes MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides) which has the effect of increasing energy levels by raising ketone levels in the blood.
Finally, Perfect Keto does not include soy, gluten, or dairy, and is sweetened naturally with stevia leaves and cocoa powder.
Perfect Keto Chocolate Protein Powder has a 4.5 Star rating based on 586 verified customer reviews and is an ideal protein powder for anyone adhering to a Keto based diet.
- Perfect low carb protein powder option for Keto dieters as it contains 1 gram of carbs per serving
- Contains, MTC Oil, fiber, and collagen protein making it an ideal all-purpose protein powder
- Can be taken any time during the day to re-focus and re-energize
- Blood sugar is reduced and energy increased as a result of the addition of MTC’s
- Stevia tend to make it a little too sweet
- Its price point might be steep for some budgets
Julian Bakery Paleo Protein Double Chocolate Powder Grass Fed Beef is a 100% Keto friendly as it is made with grass-fed pastured beef protein isolate which is rigidly tested and entirely free of antibiotics and hormones.
Each 30 g serving contains 25 grams of beef protein, 0 sugars and as a result of being sweetened by leaves from the stevia plant, and only 2 grams of carbohydrates.
Manufactured by Julian Bakery, the largest Keto / Paleo protein manufacturer in the world, this keto protein powder is gluten and GMO-free.
Additionally, the Paleo Protein Double Chocolate Powder Grass Fed Beef has no after taste and is said to be as close to “A steak in powder form” that you will ever find.
The fast freezing process used by Julian Bakery ensures that the integrity of the ingredients is not compromised.
The Julian Bakery Paleo Protein Double Chocolate Powder Grass Fed Beef has a 3.9 Star rating based on 1,459 customer reviews and is the perfect keto protein powder for those on a keto or paleo diet.
- Keto friendly protein powder made from 100% grass-fed beef free of hormones and antibiotics
- Naturally sweetened with the stevia leaf, containing only 2 Carbs and 0 Sugar
- Easily mixes with smoothies, water, milk, and can be used in baking
- Double Chocolate flavor is second to none
- Has a bit too much stevia making it too sweet
- Contrary to other products, it will dissolve by stirring but not in a blender
In order to reap maximum muscle building gains, it is recommended that ISO HD be taken about a half hour prior to a workout, however, there is no harm in taking it any time during he day to top up daily protein levels.
This keto friendly protein has an impressive BCAA profile including leucine which enhances muscle growth and reduces recovery time after a workout.
Each serving of ISO HD contains 25 grams of protein, and contains 110 calories, 0 grams of sugar, and 1 gram of carbohydrates, making a great resource for low carb diets and allowing you to stay in ketosis.
It is available in banana cream pie, smores, chocolate brownie, and peanut butter candy bar and mixes very well in a shaker cup.
BPI Sports ISO HD 100% Protein Isolate & Hydrolysate4.1 Star rating based on 105 customer reviews and is a great choice for those who want to build muscle and remain in ketosis.
- Whey protein isolate promotes rapid absorption and drives protein synthesis to fuel muscle
- Protein hydrolysate allows amino acids to rapidly absorb and quickly deliver nutrients to the muscles
- Low carb, low fat, and low sugar with no additives or artificial fillers
- BCAA’s are naturally occurring stimulating and enhancing the benefits of the protein
- The formula has recently changed to include more calories tan previously
- A whole stream of complaints about taste
Isopure Zero Carb contains 24 grams of high absorption whey protein as well as a tremendous enzyme profile to support digestion.
Further this keto protein powder is gluten free, lactose free, and contains added minerals to provide extra nutritional support.
In addition, Isopure Zero Carb Whey Protein Powder boasts 120 calories, 15 from fat sources, and less that 3 grams of carbs.
Much time and effort has gone into perfecting the taste, giving rise to 8 unique flavors including Molten Chocolate, Whipped Vanilla, Cinnamon Swirl, Peanut Butter Marshmallows, Cookies N’ Cream, Strawberry Milkshake, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
Isopure Zero Carb has a 4.0 Star rating out of 9,083 customer reviews and is the perfect keto protein powder for those adhering to a Keto diet.
- Loaded with whey protein to rapidly build muscle and strength
- Very low in carbs and low in fat
- Includes additional enzymes, vitamins, and minerals, to assist in the digestion process
- Can be take anytime either as a snack of full meal substitute
- Excellent flavor selection
- Contains 10mg of Cholesterol and 260mg of Sodium which may not be suitable for some
- Tend to clump when mixed with a liquid and quite salty tasting
Using a combination of hydrolyzed whey protein isolates and digestive enzymes Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey delivers an inherent protection to the gastrointestinal system, and in turn making it easier for the body to absorb essential nutrients.
In conjunction with 30 grams of muscle building protein, this low carb, keto protein powder contains only 2 grams of carbohydrates, 140 calories, and 1 gram of fat per serving.
Additionally, ON has added 9 grams of Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s), which promote muscle repair and sustainability while on a low carb intake.
Platinum HydroWhey can be taken first thing in the morning, just prior to a workout, or post workout for maximum effect.
Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey has a 4.5 Star rating based on 1,423 verified customer reviews and is one of the best selling low carb keto protein powders in the world.
This product also sits at #4 on our list of top low carb protein powders.
- Mixes extremely well by stirring with a spoon versus similar competitors
- Low cab diet friendly and delivers 30 grams of Whey Protein Isolate per serving
- Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolates facilitate fast absorption and delivery into the blood stream
- BCAA’s including Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine are added to assist in muscle repair and recovery
- The high level of BCAA’s may produce side effects like headaches, insomnia, or nausea for some people
- Some concern about taste and mixability of the product
Summing It Up
The Keto diet has hit the main stream and has become very popular.
As you saw, it has numerous benefits over and above weight loss, and it is no wonder the protein powder industry has allocated resources to create specialized products which are Keto friendly.
Again, choosing our list of the 5 best keto protein powders in 2018, was a difficult task as there are so many products to choose from.
We used internet sources available to us and focussed not only on the product descriptions, but also customer reviews.
Our number 1 choice is Perfect Keto Chocolate Protein Powder which was also number 1 on our list of top low carb protein powders.
It is a perfect low carb protein powder option for Keto dieters as it contains 1 gram of carbs per serving MTC Oil, fiber, and collagen protein making it an ideal all-purpose protein powder.
Last Updated on