Reading time: 14 minutes
What are carbohydrates?
According to Dictionary.com, the definition of a carbohydrate is:
“any of a class of organic compounds that are polyhydroxy aldehydes or polyhydroxy ketones, or change to such substances on simple chemical transformations, as hydrolysis, oxidation, or reduction, and that form the supporting tissues of plants and are important food for animals and people”
Simple as that! Right?
Actually not! Unless you are some sort of highly academic bio-chemist or scientist, this definition means absolutely nothing.
On a more serious side, carbohydrates, commonly referred to as carbs, are sugars, fibers, and starches derived from food groups including fruit and vegetables, grains, and dairy products, which supply energy to the body.
They make up one of the three macronutrients or macros, which also include fat and protein, and are essential to the proper functioning of the body.
These macros cannot be produced by the body and must be acquired through foods.
Because carbohydrate ultimately turn to sugar, there is a common misconception that all carbs are bad.
Carbohydrates, as we mentioned above are essential for a proper functioning body, and can be broken into 2 categories, good carbs and bad carbs.
Good carbs, or complex carbohydrates are generally derived from whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans and legumes, while bad carbs generally come from low nutrient foods like cakes and cookies, sodas, processed foods such as white bread and white rice, and pastas.
Article at a glance
- 1 What are carbohydrates?
- 1.1 The properties of good carbs are:
- 1.2 The properties of bad carbs are:
- 1.3 Benefits Of Low Carb Protein Powder
- 1.4 The 7 Best Low Carb Protein Powders in the Market
- 1.4.1 #1 Perfect Keto Collagen Protein Powder
- 1.4.2 #2 Cellucor Whey Protein Isolate Powder with BCAAs
- 1.4.3 #3 Isopure Zero Carb Whey Protein Powder
- 1.4.4 #4 Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey
- 1.4.5 #5 NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate
- 1.4.6 #6 Quest Nutrition Protein Powder
- 1.4.7 #7 PrettyFit All-Natural Whey Protein Isolate
- 1.5 Summing It Up
The properties of good carbs are:
- Low calorie count
- High nutrient value
- No processed sugars or grains
- Contains natural fiber
- Low in sodium
- Limited saturated fat
- Low in cholesterol
- No trans fats
The properties of bad carbs are:
- High caloric count
- Contains refined sugars
- Contains processed grains
- Very few if any nutrients
- Low in fiber, high sodium
- High in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol
You can use this list of good carbs versus bad carbs to determine where your eating patterns fit and adjust your diet accordingly.
Benefits Of Low Carb Protein Powder
Obesity is still an epidemic not only in North America, but the entire world.
Every where you look on he internet, television, and print media, you see advertisement after advertisement boasting about the latest and greatest diet or supplement guaranteed to shed pounds.
Simple logic tells us that there is no simple solution to weight loss other than reducing caloric intake and increasing fat burning exercise.
Generally, people looking at a low carb protein powder are wanting to either lose weight or maintain weight.
Low carb protein powders work well, however, they must be a part of a much bigger plan.
In addition, the use low carb protein powders, have additional benefits, some of which are:
- Drains fat storage areas
- Increases metabolic rate
- Burns fat rapidly and evenly
- Lose weight safely
- Improves bowel motility
- Increases exercise performance
- Reduces blood pressure
- Lifts brain fog and improves clarity
- Aids in better sleep
- Elevates mood levels
Bottom line is that the use of low carb protein powders can provide several overall health benefits most of which are attributed to the loss of weight.
The 7 Best Low Carb Protein Powders in the Market
Perfect Keto Collagen Protein Powder sits at #1 on our list of low carb protein powders.
Its main ingredient is collagen protein which is generally not found in most people’s diet, however, is the most significant structural protein in the body.
Collagen protein makes up approximately 30% of the entire protein make up in the body, and is effective in improving hair, nails, and skin.
Perfect Keto Collagen is a grass fed and each serving contains 10 grams of collagen protein, and only 1 gram of carbohydrates.
In addition, it includes MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil in powder form which raises ketone levels in the blood stream, and in turn increases energy.
Finally, Perfect Keto does not include soy, gluten, or dairy, and is sweetened naturally with stevia leaves and cocoa powder.
Perfect Keto Collagen Protein Powder has a 4.5 Star rating based on 576 verified customer reviews and is a low carb protein powder for anyone watching caloric intake.
- Perfect low carb protein powder option as it contains only 1 gram of carbohydrates per serving
- Contains collagen protein, MTC Oil, and fiber, making it the perfect all in one protein powder
- Can be taken any time during the day to re-focus and re-energize
- MTC’s increase energy without spiking blood sugar
- Some find the stevia sweetening too strong and too sweet
- Its price point might be steep for some budgets
In fact, each serving, which is comprised of 2 scoops, contains 24 grams of high absorption whey protein as well as a complement of enzymes to enhance digestion.
In addition, COR-Performance Whey contains 120 calories, 15 from fat sources, and less that 3 grams of carbs.
Much time and effort has gone into perfecting the taste, giving rise to 8 unique flavors including Molten Chocolate, Whipped Vanilla, Cinnamon Swirl, Peanut Butter Marshmallows, Cookies N’ Cream, Strawberry Milkshake, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
Cellucor Whey Protein Isolate Powder with BCAAs has a 4.4 Star rating out of 1,356 customer reviews and is the perfect low carb protein powder with high protein.
- Loaded with whey protein to rapidly build muscle and strength
- Very low in carbs and low in fat
- Includes additional enzymes to assist in the digestion process
- Can be take anytime either as a snack of full meal substitute
- Excellent flavor selection
- Contrary to promotion of excellent taste, numerous complaint about poor flavor
- Tend to clump when mixed with a liquid
Further, Isopure includes essential vitamins and minerals to enhance nutritional value, and amino acid glutamine to facilitate gastrointestinal wellness including irritable bowel and leaky gut syndrome.
It is available in a variety of different flavors such as apple melon, banana cream, creamy vanilla, alpine punch, and pineapple orange to name a few.
Isopure Zero Carb Whey Protein Powder has a 4 Star rating based on a whopping 9,063 customer reviews.
- Zero fat, zero carb protein powder with 100% whey protein isolate
- Minerals and Vitamins added to provide nutrients
- Includes glutamine to support gut and intestinal health
- Excellent variety of unique flavors
- Due to high digestion / absorption rate, its not ideal for weight loss
- Some flavors are not as presented in marketing materials
- Price may be high for some budgets
Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey is manufactured in one of four US facilities owned by Optimum Nutrition or ON.
Using a combination of hydrolyzed whey protein isolates and digestive enzymes Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey delivers an inherent protection to the gastrointestinal system, and in turn making it easier for the body to absorb essential nutrients.
In conjunction with 30 grams of muscle building protein, this low carb protein powder contains only 2 grams of carbohydrates, 140 calories, and 1 gram of fat per serving.
Additionally, ON has added 9 grams of Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s), which promote muscle repair and sustainability while on a low carb intake.
Platinum HydroWhey can be taken first thing in the morning, just prior to a workout, or post workout for maximum effect.
Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey has a 4.5 Star rating based on 1,423 verified customer reviews and is one of the best selling low carb high protein supplements in the world.
- Mixes extremely well by stirring with a spoon versus similar competitors
- Low cab diet friendly and delivers 30 grams of Whey Protein Isolate per serving
- Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolates facilitate fast absorption and delivery into the blood stream
- BCAA’s including Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine are added to assist in muscle repair and recovery
- The high level of BCAA’s may produce side effects like headaches, insomnia, or nausea for some people
- Some concern about taste and mixability of the product
Quality assurance has been high on their list since day 1 and today, a team of technologists verify the purity of all products and ingredients monthly.
NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate is perfect for a low carb or ketogenic diet as each serving contains only 1 gram of carbohydrates.
Further, it delivers 25 grams of protein, and a high level of branch chain amino acids to assist in building the protein.
This low carb protein is unflavored meaning hat it can be mixed with you own choice liquid to suit your own taste.
As a result, there are no additives or artificial flavors required.
NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate has a 4.1 Star rating base on 20 reviews, it made our list based on the history and reputation of NOW Health.
- No Artificial Ingredients and no genetically modified organisms
- Great mixability as opposed to other products
- Microfiltered to ensure it cleanliness and purity
- Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s) added to enhance protein effectiveness
- Some people concern about the potential side effects of soy lecithin
- Like many other low carb proteins, concerns about taste
The product is gluten free, soy free, but does contain a minimal amount of the following ingredients:
Quest Nutrition Protein Powder blends extremely well and an be mixed with water, your favorite juice, or used in baking.
It has a 4.3 Star rating based on 2,392 customer reviews and is a fabulous low carb protein powder.
- Contains no unnecessary ingredients resulting in an exceptional protein to carb ratio
- Ideal for building muscle while keeping carb intake low
- Contains 9 vital amino acids which support the proteins
- Combines whey and casein proteins into a blend which maximizes effectiveness
- Gluten Free, Soy Free, No Added Sugar
- Some concerns about the odor and taste of some of the flavors
- May be too expensive for some
Each serving contains only 1 gram carbs, 100 calories, and no sugars.
This all-natural whey protein contains no additives, fillers, or preservatives, and is one of the purest low carb protein powders on the market today.
In addition, the manufacturing process uses a cold filtration method which protects the integrity of the ingredients which are often destroyed when heat is used.
In addition, PrettyFit is lactose free and formulated with 5 additional enzymes, Protease I and II, Amylase, Lipase, and Lactase, to enhance the digestion process and reduce gas and bloating.
PrettyFit All-Natural Whey Protein Isolate has a 4.1 Star rating based on 51 customer reviews, and although it is #7 on our list it quite easily could have ranked higher.
- Low calorie, low carb, and low fat making it ideal for restricted diets
- Being a whey protein isolate it will absorb quickly if taken pre-workout
- Lactose free, however, still contains a number of digestive enzymes
- No additives like artificial sweeteners, and unnecessary fillers
- Great in milk shake for or used in baking
- Some found the texture to be unappealing
- Taste seemed to be somewhat bland for some
- Low on the mixability scale
Summing It Up
Perfect Keto Collagen Protein Powder is our #1 choice for The 7 Best Low Carb Protein Powders in the Market.
Our decision was very difficult to make as there are so many premium low cab powders on the market.
What stood out to us is not only the great number of positive reviews, but the fact that it contains only 1 gram of carbohydrates, and includes MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil, an essential ingredient not found in the diets of most people.