Reading time: 11 minutes
Soy Protein Powder: The 5 Best Soy Protein Powders
For somereason soy protein powder has been given a bad rap, and in fact we have seen some actually call it an inferior protein.
As you will see as you read on, nothing could be further from the truth.
It is a high-quality plant-based protein with additional health benefits unheard of with other proteins.
Further, the price point is lower than most of its competitors, and it has tremendous muscle building capabilities.
Article at a glance
- 1 Soy Protein Powder: The 5 Best Soy Protein Powders
- 1.1 What is Soy Protein Powder?
- 1.2 Benefits Of Using Soy Protein Powder?
- 1.2.1 Boosts Athletic Performance
- 1.2.2 Lowers Bad Cholesterol
- 1.2.3 Lowers Risk Of Certain Cancers
- 1.2.4 Complete Protein
- 1.2.5 High PDCAAS
- 1.2.6 Lower Price
- 1.2.7 Specific Benefits For Women
- 1.2.8 The 5 Best Soy Protein Powder Supplements
- 1.2.9 #1 Bulksupplements Pure Soy Protein Isolate Powder
- 1.2.10 #2 EAS Soy Protein Powder
- 1.2.11 #3 MHP Probolic-SR Sustained Release Bio-Efficient Protein
- 1.2.12 #4 Naturade 100% Soy Protein Booster
- 1.2.13 #5 Jarrow Formulas Iso-Rich Soy
- 1.3 Summing It Up
What is Soy Protein Powder?
Soy protein is a plant-based protein wich is extracted from soy beans in isolated form.
Soy protein powder is a popular choice of many vegans and vegetarians, as it inherently has a high protein level, and is considered a complete protein meaning that it contains 9 essential amino acids including tryptophan, threonine, isoleucine, lysine, leucine, methionine & cysteine, phenylalanine & tyrosine, valine and histidine.
In addition, it is low fat, low in carbohydrates, and has a low cholesterol level.
As a result, it is preferred over other plant-based sources of protein like rice, beans, nuts, and other incomplete proteins.
Soy powder is made by initially extracting the soy protein from the soybean or the soybean meal, using a process called dehulling and defatting, which isolates the protein from the soybean.
Dehulling results in soy flour, soy concentrates and soy isolates, while defatting involves the removal of fatty acids resulting in the elimination of sugars and fibre.
The finished product, soybean powder is ideal for low carb diets, vegans, or vegetarians, and can be easily mixed into smoothies, milk, water, or used in baking or making your favorite treats.
Although soy protein powder is the best way to take advantage of the main benefits of protein powder as discussed below, some common food which contain soy are:
- Soybean Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Lecithin and Emulsifiers
- Meat Substitutes
- Non-Dairy Milk and Cheese
Benefits Of Using Soy Protein Powder?
Boosts Athletic Performance
Soybeans contain a compound called isoflavones which have proven to boost athletic performance.
In addition, they have anti-oxidant properties which can alleviate joint inflammation and sped up muscle repair, recovery, and eliminate soreness.
Lowers Bad Cholesterol
Low density lipoprotein or LDL Cholesterol is often termed bad cholesterol, and high levels of LDL is a major cause of heart disease.
Many studies have conclusively proven that regular intake of soybean products reduce the levels of LDL and in turn reduce the risk of heart disease.
Lowers Risk Of Certain Cancers
The bioactive compounds called isoflavones, which are extremely prevalent in soybeans, mimics estrogen when it enters the body, resulting in a reduction of the risk of estrogen-oriented cancers like colon cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer.
Soybeans qualify as a complete protein which means that it contains 9 essential amino acids including tryptophan, threonine, isoleucine, lysine, leucine, methionine & cysteine, phenylalanine & tyrosine, valine and histidine.
Although these names may not mean much to the average person, they interact with foods to enhance the nutritional effectiveness.
PDCAAS stands for Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acids Score, which is a standard used in the supplement industry to measure the efficiency of amino acid digestion, and in turn the overall quality of the protein.
Protein derived from the soybean has one of the highest PDAAS of any protein.
In general, soy protein powders tend to be the least expensive of all the competitive proteins, and in particular, the most popular whey and casein proteins.
Specific Benefits For Women
The isoflavones and complete amino acid profile have some specific benefits unique to women.
First, it can ease some of the effects related to menopause, improve bone, skin, and health of hair, and reduced risk of breast cancer.
As you can see, soy protein powder, although primarily used to build muscle mass, has a tremendous number of additional health benefits.
The 5 Best Soy Protein Powder Supplements
Each serving contains 27 grams of protein derived from soy beans, and the only ingredient is, you guessed it, soy protein isolate.
Bulksupplements market their products as being very rudimentary and basic with no additives, fillers, preservatives, or any unnecessary junk.
Pure Soy Protein Isolate Powder is not flavored, and packaging is very simple keeping the price low for consumers.
Don’t let the simplicity fool you as Bulk supplements have extremely high-quality standards, with a rigid lab testing procedure in place for all its products.
This vegan and vegetarian soy protein powder has a tremendous amino acid profile and has 258 grams of calcium to support healthy bones.
Bulksupplements Pure Soy Protein Isolate Powder has a 4.2 Star rating based on 152 verified customer reviews and is our #1 choice in the soy protein powder category.
- Vegan friendly as it is soy based and is 90% pure by weight
- Each serving contains 27 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of fat
- Has 258 grams of calcium to enhance and promote strong healthy bones
- Strong amino acid profile to build up and enhance protein
- Concerns about the taste and chalky texture
- As with many plant based proteins, complaints about stomach reactions
The product is manufactured by EAS a lesser known company in the protein supplement market but owned by the large pharmaceutical company Abbott Laboratories.
Each serving contains 20 grams of soy-based protein and is a perfect addition for lactose intolerant individuals looking for a soy protein powder to build lean muscle mass.
This high-quality protein has the added benefit of promoting heart health, as it has no saturated fat and no cholesterol.
In addition, it is NSF tested and certified, and contains 9 essential amino acids which the body typically does not produce on its own.
EAS Soy Protein Powder has a 4.2 Star rating based on 264 customer reviews and ranks #2 on our list of top soy protein powders.
- Each serving contains 20 grams of soy-based protein and has muscle building properties
- Soy creates a feeling of being full, thus reducing hunger cravings
- Tremendous complement of 9 essential amino acids
- No cholesterol or saturated fat thus promoting good heart health
- 100% vegan friendly with no additives or unnecessary fillers
- Taste is quite sweet and too powerful for some
- Price tag may be too rich for some people
- Higher sugar content than most competitors
MHP has added 5 essential Amino Acids, glutamine, arginine, leucine, isoleucine and valine to stimulate and promote strength and muscle growth.
A recent study has shown that PROBOLIC-SR has an anabolic response which is 7 times greater than whey protein by itself.
The taste is second to none, and it is available in the following flavors:
- Cookies ‘n Cream
- Peanut Butter
- Triple Chocolate Cookie
- Banana Cream
MHP Probolic-SR Sustained Release Bio-Efficient Protein has a 4.2 Star rating based on 72 customer ratings, and is more than a basic soy protein powder.
- Proven to have 7 times more anabolic effectiveness than whey protein powder
- Uses a sustained release muscle feeding technology which lasts for 12 hours
- 5 essential amino acids, including 3 BCAA’s have been added to enhance muscle building and recovery
- Available in 8 new and exciting flavors
- Whey and casein protein contain dairy and may not be for the lactose intolerant
- May be too expensive for limited budgets
Not many realize that Naturade has been in operation since 1926 and is one of the world leaders in the production of health supplements and have built their success on providing high quality products with simple formulas.
Naturade 100% Soy contains no carbohydrates, and can be shaken or stirred into milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or any juice.
Additionally, it can be used in smoothies, or added as an ingredient to muffins, pancakes, soups, stews, or sauces.
Naturade 100% Soy Protein Booster has a 3.9 Star rating, however, we felt it should be on our list of best soy protein powders based on the history and reputation of Naturade.
- Contains 100% soy and includes 25 grams per serving
- Added phytonutrients increase the nutritional vale of the powder
- Great soy protein for dieting as it contains zero sugar, as well as low carbs, calories, and fat
- 25 grams of protein per day has proven to lower cholesterol levels, and reduce risk of heart disease
- Some find the taste to be somewhat earthy and described as grass like
- Complaint about clumping and not mixing well
Isoflavones are soy phytonutrients which occur naturally, and have proven to provide health benefits including:
- Disease fighting
- Improved cardio function
- Cellular health
- Support of bone health
- Menopausal assistance
- Estrogen balance
Each serving contains 56 grams of isoflavones and 25 grams of high quality soy protein.
Further Jarrow Formulas Iso-Rich Soy is ideal for dieting as each serving contains only 110 calories, .5 grams of fat, and no carbohydrates.
In addition, it provides a comprehensive array of essential amino acids and complies with daily guidelines recommended by the Food and Nutrition Board in the United States.
Jarrow Formulas Iso-Rich Soy 4.2 Star rating based on 301 customer reviews and is a top-quality soy protein for those who are looking to manage their weight and receive the added benefits of isoflavones.
- Includes 56 grams of isoflavones which provide additional health benefits
- Each serving is packed with 25 grams of soy-based protein
- Beneficial for weight control and post workout recovery
- Unflavored for those who have favorite beverages
- Most complaints refer to the taste and texture which is subjective in nature
Summing It Up
We certainly hope you found this article informative and useful, as we discussed soy protein powder and reviewed the Bulksupplements Pure Soy Protein Isolate Powders in 2018.
Our intent was to increase your knowledge of the many health benefits of soy, as well as to review top soy protein powders.
Like most of the other protein powder categories, the competition is stiff, with each manufacturer stressing the reasons why their product is the best.
We did our best to cut through the fluff and get to the straight facts.
Our #1 choice is Bulksupplements Pure Soy Protein Isolate Powder.
What attracted us to this product is the no frills approach in terms of ingredients and packaging.
Their only goal is to deliver a quality product which meets the needs of their customer.
Based on customer reviews, they have certainly achieved that.
Our hats go off to Bulksupplements, and their Pure Soy Protein Isolate Powder. Congratulations on being #1.
Last Updated on