Reading time: 11 minutes
Unflavored Protein Powders
The term unflavored protein powder has become very popular in the protein powder community, however, the term can be a little bit misleading.
Unflavored does not mean that the powder has no taste, it simply means that natural flavorings like stevia leaves or vanilla, or artificial flavorings creating the taste of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and any number of other popular flavors, have not been added.
Unflavored protein powders, for the most part tend to take on the flavor of their primary ingredients. For example, some plant-based protein powders have an earthy taste, while beef taste protein powders have taste of their own.
Because unflavored protein powders are generally not taken on their own, the rudimentary taste is easily disguised when mixed with other ingredients.
Article at a glance
- 1 Unflavored Protein Powders
- 1.1 Benefits Of Unflavored Protein Powder
- 1.2 A Note About Artificial Sweeteners
- 1.3 The Top 7 Unflavored Protein Powders
- 1.3.1 #1 Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder Unflavored
- 1.3.2 #2 Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate – Unflavored
- 1.3.3 #3 Nutricost Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored
- 1.3.4 #4 TGS All Natural 100% Whey Protein Powder – Unflavored
- 1.3.5 #5 NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored Powder
- 1.4 Summing It Up
Benefits Of Unflavored Protein Powder
If you have ever tried to add a flavored protein powder to your favorite smoothie or baked good, you know how it can alter the taste, sometimes for the good, but in most cases for the bad.
You recognize the benefits of including protein powder into your diet, so you just put up with it.
Oher than the versatility to have your favorite protein packed smoothie, snack, or shake anytime and any where, there are some additional benefits to having an unflavored protein powder readily available.
Unflavored protein powders by nature, do not include any sugar which makes it great for calorie reduced diets, r for those looking to lose weight.
Should you have a desire for sugar, you can control the exact amount.
In addition, unflavored powders do not include any artificial flavors, making it clean and pure without putting harmful chemicals into your body.
This also makes it ideal for those adhering to a keto or paleo diet.
Further down in this article we have a special section on the pros and cons of artificial flavorings which contains some important considerations.
Can Replace Flour
Unflavored protein powder makes a perfect replacement for unhealthy white refined flour.
You may have to test different proportions or use the protein powder in conjunction with conventional flour, however, it is a great way to receive additional proteins, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids from some of the foods you regularly eat.
As mentioned previously, unflavored protein powder can be used in a multitude of different ways.
Some of which are baking smoothies, shakes, casseroles or sprinkled over salads.
A Note About Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners certainly have their place as they reduce sugar intake, reduce calories, and contribute to weight loss.
The US Food and Drug Administration recognized the benefit of these sweeteners, and currently have approved 5 including:
- Acesulfame potassium (brand name Sunett)
- Aspartame (brand names NutraSweet or Equal)
- Sucralose (brand name Splenda)
- D-Tagatose (brand name Sugaree)
- Saccharin (brand name Sweet ‘N Low)
Although there are some inherent benefits supporting the use of artificial sweeteners, the are also some drawbacks including:
- Some tend to break down when used for cooking
- Often leave a nauseating after taste
- Some are unsafe for pregnant or lactating women
- Removing sweetness provided by sugar can increase sugar cravings
- May slow down metabolic rate, increasing weight
The bottom line is that artificial sweeteners, whether derived from natural sources or not, contain synthetic and chemical components.
If you are looking for clean, pure, and natural, artificial sweeteners are not the ideal source.
Incorporating an unflavored protein powder to your diet is a good start to remove artificial sweeteners.
The Top 7 Unflavored Protein Powders
Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder Unflavored as the name suggests is an unflavored protein powder and sits at the #1 spot on our list.
Each serving contains 25 grams of high quality whey protein isolate, no carbs, artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners, and is gluten and lactose free.
Isopure Zero Carb can be taken pre-workout, post-workout, or any time during the day.
It is ideal for building, repairing, muscle, controlling weight, or just used to meet minimum daily protein requirements.
Being an unflavored protein powder, it can be added to smoothies, favorite flavored waters, or used in baking.
Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder Unflavored, has a 4 Star rating based on a hopping 9,083 verified customer reviews, which we believe says it all.
- Helps build and repair muscles following exercise
- Allows individuals to meet daily protein requirements
- Great for weight loss and weight management as it creates a full feeling
- Contains 25 grams of protein and is gluten and lactose free
- Contains sucralose as a sweetener which some are averse
- Can be hard on the stomach creating gas pains and bloating
Manufactured by Opportuniteas, this unflavored protein packs in 27 grams of protein per serving and contains no sugar, sweeteners, colors, or flavorings.
Cows are raised in Wisconsin, and are fed grass, hay, haylage, baleage, silage, and other roughage, and are not injected with any hormones, antibiotic, or steroids.
They are as pure and clean as it gets.
It is made using cold press technology which ensure the integrity of the protein is protected and is dried at very low temperatures which enhance the flavor and texture as well as sustaining nutrient value.
Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder Isolate – Unflavored has a 4.8 Star rating based on 466 customer reviews and is a quality unflavored protein for those looking for cleanliness and purity.
- Contains only 2 ingredients, 99% whey protein isolate and a trace of lecithin to enhance mixing
- Truly an unflavored protein powder containing nothing artificial
- Each scoop contains 27 grams of whey protein
- Quality control standards are very high regarding the milk source
- A few complaints about the gritty texture
- Some felt the price is a little steep
Nutricost Unflavored Protein is loaded with a whopping 30 grams of whey protein isolate, and contains 2 grams of carbohydrates, and 1 gram of fat. Although the product is derived from dairy, the fact that it is a whey protein means that it s almost entirely devoid of any lactose.
In addition, whey protein isolate is the purest form of protein, making it less prone to cause stomach cramps and bloating often found with other forms of protein.
Nutricost is a relatively new player in the supplement market and is rapidly gaining acceptance from those looking for a basic, no frills, unflavored protein powder.
Nutricost Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored, has 4.4 Star rating based on 236 verified customer reviews and a great choice in the unflavored protein powder market.
- A high quality unflavored whey protein isolate with 30 grams of protein
- Great for weight control as it contains only 2 grams of carbohydrates, and 1 gram of fat
- Containing only 1% lactose, is quite acceptable to most lactose intolerant people
- Concerns about a chemical smell
- Like many whey proteins, tends to clump when mixing
As a result, this 100% premium whey protein powder promotes the following:
- Soy free Gluten free
- GMO free
- BGH growth hormone free
- No preservatives
- No artificial colors or flavors
- No fillers
- No added sugar
- No Acid or Bleach Processing
This cold processed undenatured whey protein concentrate contains an extensive combination of essential and branched chain amino acid and contains 25 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat and carbs in each serving.
TGS All Natural 100% Whey Protein Powder – Unflavored has a 4.8 Star rating based on 1,270 verified customer reviews and is 4th on our list of best unflavored proteins.
- Pure unflavored whey protein powder containing 99% whey and 1% lecithin for mixability
- Excellent amino acid profile to enhance the positive effect of concentrated whey protein
- Low in fat and carbs making it conducive for those watching their weight
- One of the purest and cleanest unflavored proteins available
- Can cause gas and stomach issues
- Some issues with clumping
NOW Health Group, the manufacturer has been producing and distributing nutritional supplements since the late 1960’s, a time when nutritional supplements were not in the main stream.
Since they opened their doors, product quality has always been a priority. In fact, a team of technologists verify the purity of all products and ingredients monthly.
NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored Powder is a perfect unflavored source for low carb diets as each serving contains only 1 gram of carbohydrates.
Additionally, it packs 25 grams of protein, and a high level of branch chain amino acids to assist in building the protein.
This low carb unflavored protein can be mixed with you own choice liquid to suit your own taste.
As a result, there are no additives or artificial flavors required.
NOW Sports Whey Protein Isolate has a 4.1 Star rating base on 20 reviews, it made our list based on the history and reputation of NOW Health.
- Truly unflavored with out artificial additives or GMO’s
- Great mixability as opposed to other products
- Very clean and pure resulting from the microfilter process
- Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s) added to enhance protein effectiveness
- Some people concern about the potential side effects of lecithin
- Like many other low carb proteins, concerns about taste
Summing It Up
As you have seen, there are a great number if benefits inherent in using an unflavored protein powder.
It provides the flexibility to have what ever flavor of shake, smoothie, or protein drink you wish.
In addition, it can be used for baking, cooking, and is a great substitute for unhealthy white flour.
Most protein powder brands include an unflavored version making it difficult to come up with a top 5 list.
We did our due diligence and the winner of the top 5 unflavored protein powders is Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder Unflavored.
Isopure helps build and repair muscles following exercise, allows individuals to meet daily protein requirements, is great for weight loss and weight management as it creates a full feeling, and packs 25 grams of protein in each serving.